View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #108
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Project - NHRA Stock and S/S results 61-69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
1969 now published. Thank you both for your help.

https://skunkwerkssuperstock.wordpress.com/1969-2/
I'm sorry, but there is just some Pontiac stuff there, which I don't understand.

If I read it right, you said a Ben Wolf '69 GTO won the B/SA class at a race. I assume you just made that up & never actually saw in print what he was driving. Also, if I read the right thing, it says that both winner & RU in B/SA were DQ'd. I'll read it again. I think it was @ Indy '69, right ?

" B/SA Ben Wolf 69 Pontiac GTO Ram Air IV
400cui/370hp 4V "

Don't recall seeing any old pics of a '69 GTO running in that high a class.

I just looked thru my files of '69 GTO pics. I don't even see one that ran C/SA, much less B/SA. Most were either D or E. I assume that back then, the RA3 ran E & the RA4 ran D.

In the Spring Nats class winners lists, it shows a Ben Wolf B/SA '61 Pontiac, which ran a 12.20.

So, were BOTH the '69 GTO AND the '61 Pontiac running B/SA, in '69 ?

Maybe, it was a misprint & the car was actually the Wolf & McClelland '62 Pontiac. I have pics of it with D/SA & C/SA on the window. Maybe for '69, certain 421SD models could run B/SA ?

Might have been a lighter RA2 Bird. That sounds likely. Since the RA4 was factory rated lower in a Bird than the RA4 in a Goat, AND since the '69 Bird is lighter than the Goat, a RA4 Bird also sounds very likely. Pic 4 shows Phil Monteith's '69 RA4 Bird. He bought it new, & it ran B/SA. I vote for a Bird, NOT a Goat.

"...Either way it seems that B/SA=8.50 Mystery Ben Wolf car of Spring 69 was either a:
69 GTO RA4
69 Bird RA4
68 Bird RA2
Nothing else seems to fit up that high..."

I just used an online calculator. Th RA4 engine would have had to have been factored up to at least 389hp in order to get the 3500lb '69 GTO into B-Stock. Then it would have been real heavy for the class. I just noticed that the hp factor has been only 365hp for nearly 20 years. That's 1hp lower than the RA3 engine. But, I suppose the RA4 heads are just too rare & expensive for most, as well as a clean '69 GTO body.

The Indy class winners list shows that Jack Briner won H/SA. Under the caption of the class final pic, you said the other car won. So, was the big Pontiac DQ'd ?

" Ed Merkle’s H/SA winning Fairlane convertible. (1062) "

The more I read, the more confused I am.

The list which appears to have been made up, for the '69 Nats(I assume that's Indy), don't jive with the posted list which I assume was published in the ND. So, do you have info telling who was awarded the class wins, after the DQ's were noted, or ?

" 69 NATIONALS Top Stock Class Winners "

"...D/SA – B Bunker – Pontiac GTO – 12.45 @ 110.97..."

Anyhow, the 1st list shows that a GTO won the D/SA class, with B Bunker driving. But, the official looking list shows that Ray McClelland won D/SA. So, if both these lists are from the '69 Nats @ Indy, which list is correct ?

Can't copy & paste the ND list, but it clearly says it's a list from the '69 NHRA Nationals, & it clearly shows that Ray McClelland won D/SA. So, who really won the class @ Indy '69 ?

Trying to go back thru those lists & get it all straight. On second look, that part about the B/SA '69 GTO was right at the bottom of the Spring Nats list, with very little space between it & the heading for the Indy info. But, that don't change the fact that I don't think a '69 GTO won B/SA, at any '69 nat event. Hey, I could be wrong. It HAS happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Wolf & McClelland .jpg
Views:	110
Size:	534.1 KB
ID:	60764   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - B-S '62 .jpg
Views:	105
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	60765   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Weidner '68 .jpg
Views:	106
Size:	530.4 KB
ID:	60766  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - Hatari B-SA .jpg
Views:	108
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	60767  

Last edited by oldskool; 10-14-2021 at 11:47 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote