Thread: Cooling System
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Cooling System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
My son runs a 418 cubic inch small block R1 Mopar with W2 heads, so all iron like yours, he also runs a 4.10 rear gear. This year will be his seventh year as a participant at Hot Rod's Drag Week, I think the second year with this exact setup. In 2018 he placed third in Street Machine Eliminator. He started with a 360 with a four barrel so the car has evolved a lot.

He does run hoses from the rear water ports on the heads to the thermostat housing. No thermostat and a Meziere 35 GPH pump. He controls the water pump and the fans with his ECU (Megasquirt). Historically he has run dual fans adapted from I think a Dodge Intrepid. This year he plans to run a new Delta Pag brushless fan.

It has a tunnel ram with EFI and probably is around 600 HP.

In the past no real cooling issues except on the interstate highways, worse behind semi's. Even in this case I can't remember a problem with it boiling over, just getting over 200.

He is hoping that the higher CFM of this fan will help.

He has an off brand aluminum radiator that does not fit flush with the radiator core that may allow air to escape over the radiator that otherwise would go through it.

He does use the ECU / CNP ignition to run a lot of advance under low load conditions.

Probably more than you or anyone else wanted to know but perhaps this will trigger some thought on your part.

Bill
I think the big issue is that my block is half filled. It's a stock magnum block, not an R1 or R3. I'm asking alot out of it to hold 12psi of boost with the factory ECU and pump gas.

I'd like to see how the rear steam vents are plumbed to clear the distributor - driver side looks tight. I'm thinking 45* 1/4 NPT to 4AN, then a 90* hose end? Granted he would just have a plug in the distributor hole, so it might not matter.

Going to hit Summit tomorrow. Davies Craig 115 pump came in yesterday, I already have a good idea of where it's going. Going to get an oil cooler and remote filter kit, put the cooler under the oil pan and oil filter hanging off the passenger motor mount. Also going to de-plumb the heater core and factory bypass hose, so that the radiator is the only path for water to flow. I'm keeping the mechanical pump, but will be able to turn the EWP on as-needed.

I'm just not sure if I should run no thermostat, or de-core it to act as a 1.25" restrictor. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Last edited by DailyDriverSst; 09-05-2021 at 05:59 PM.
DailyDriverSst is offline   Reply With Quote