View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #184
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Nova stocker project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyparker View Post
Alan, When the 327 out of my '68 Camaro was torn down for a refresh the cam looked like yours, eat up pretty bad on both sides of the lobes. The Schubecks didn't show any kind of wear as usual. It only had 170lbs on the seat and always had Gibbs oil in it. I was going to buy a billet replacement but there was a backlog on them at that time so I put a cast back in it. The car and motor are gone not sure what it will look like at the next teardown. My engine guy was puzzled as to what actually caused this condition. Jimmy
Hi Jimmy. This cam had over 200 runs on it. It was nitrided, broken in with light springs and oil used was either Valvoline VR1 10w30 or Redline 5w20. Lifters were uncoated Trend w/o an oil hole. I'm not sure if more or less lash would make a difference or not. I'm not unhappy with the life of the cam, though. Short of going with a billet or 8620 cam core, there's not much else to be done.

Trend polished and recrowned the lifters. I just can't bring myself to put ceramic faced lifters in the thing....

Good to hear from you, hope all is well. -Al