View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 12:00 PM   #10
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: 1971 US Nationals class winners.

In another thread, I just saw the Jr. Stock book mentioned.

On another thread, I mentioned the fact that the book mentions almost nothing about Pontiacs in the '71 section.

This is in spite of the fact that, IF the numbers are correct, Truman Fields won D/S at Indy with an 11.83. That looks to be a very good ET, for that time period.

1971 Firebirds took winner & RU in H/S, and won I/SA.

Pontiac guys recognize 1971 as the 1st year of the 455HO engine. Quite a few of these cars were raced, by Pontiac dealers & individuals. 455HO equipped Bird, GTO & T-37 models have been raced, very successfully, by lots of racers, thru the years.

455HO powered cars have set records, won class, won div & nat events, & won div & nat points championships. I can mention big name racers who have had success with 455HO powered cars. Some are: Gary Moore, Gary & Charlene Wood, Rock Running, Mick Leiferman, Scott & Brad Burton, Scott Underhill, Lee Bannister, & Larry Maxwell, just to name a few.

Plenty of 455HO info was readily available at the time the Jr. Stock book was published, in 2012. So, why was it not mentioned ?

I have a couple of guesses. But I figure the main reason is because the author of the book actually knew very little about the history of Pontiac powered drag racing, & probably didn't inquire about it to Pontiac experts, who could have informed him. Therefore the introduction of the Pontiac 455HO engine would not mean anything to him.

I found another pic of the Max Sterling "White Lightning" Bird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	White Lightning .jpg
Views:	218
Size:	750.8 KB
ID:	60152  

Last edited by oldskool; 09-28-2021 at 12:20 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked