View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts
Default Re: RV house batteries, AGM anyone use them?

Eric,
This is what my son had to say:

"He needs to have the inverter or whatever charges to the batteries checked out, it will also ruin AGM batteries if it is cooking regular batteries like that.

His overfilling might be making it look worse than it is. During charging the fluid level actually raises up. So if you fill them to the top of the well when they charge they will leak out of the caps. Ideal fill level should be just to the bottom of the little plastic tube that extends from the top into the fluid, that gives it some room for expansion. Some fluid usage is normal but I don't feel he should have to fill it up every time he uses it.

Also if he does want to go AGM he needs to make sure his inverter has a setting for AGM batteries. With an 06 model coach it may not have that option, but it doesn't sound like the inverter is working properly anyways."

He did not mention it but I have heard him say many times the biggest cause for short life on RV, golf cart, boat, generator, and tractor batteries is not keeping them charged over periods of no use. Of course some type of battery maintainer would work best.

Good luck!
Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote