View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #23
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: Bill "da Grump" Jenkins Passed away today

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
I saw the Vega's and Pinto's as the beginning of the end of what was Pro STOCK. The weight breaks were a terrible idea and got completely out of hand by the end of the 1970s. The tube chassis stuff allowed them to modify them to where now they don't look like anything stock. They should just call it PRO and leave the stock off and out of the rulebook. I think NHRA will follow NASCAR in a few years and allow EFI into PS. I think the first years were the best because at that time, you could buy a 427 Camaro, 429 Boss Mustang or 426 Hemi Cuda or Challenger. PS now is basically a funny car with carbs and gasoline.
You make some good points there. My favorite era is from 1970-74. In spite of the all-tube frame construction of cars built in the latter half of 1972 thru 1974, for the most part, they still resembled production vehicles.

I agree 100% with your assessment of modern Pro 'Stock', especially the last two decades, and especially so, the past few years, with cars that look like something straight out of Bizarro World. There's nothing 'Stock' about these ultra-expensive and sophisticated de facto carbureted funnycars sans fliptop bodies, and everything $PRO.

The real Pro Stock class died a long time ago. Time way overdue for NHRA to rename the class like you say.

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 04-01-2012 at 03:57 AM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote