View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #26
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Thumbs up Re: The death of bracket racing........

Rick, One of the hardest things to get across is that in no way do I believe Heads up racing in Sportsman level is the "Only kind of racing" I agree the index system helped save S and SS and keep it locally interesting. BUT..... the pendulum has been allowed to swing too far away from the part which can be used for keeping our "Show Value". We need dial in for eliminator. NOT FOR EVERY MEET without some "SHOW VALUE"
I could not predict how many classes "should be" in S and SS. There are just way too many. Its a statistical thing. 1000 cars nation wide divided into 200 classes = 5 per class nationwide. Hold an event and 2 might show(except indy). Say there were 40 classes and divide the same number of cars makes 50 cars per class nation wide. You could hear about competitors, gauge your accomplishments, Have class racing at National events which are more fun and challenge to EARN a Wally. Maybe a few Sponsors might even decide to reinvest in class money. Afterall they are now only posting for 40 classes not 200 right?
(Disclaimer: numbers are used for example)
Money: NHRA has inadvertently created enough classes to get people to stretch their budget past what it might take to race at an heads up only method. Some of this is our own fault. Some "wish " they could run Pro Stock and recognize the budget and quickly dont try it. Some think that if they only "need" to dial in they can afford the NHRA points meets and Nationals. These latter people will still be able to race but maybe they wont be as competitive at Class events but will still have the Points meets and Open events where they can enjoy the "driving challenge" of the dial in racing.
Those who think someone will pay them to enjoy their racing without a profit for the track from food, spectators or racer numbers are mistaken. If we recognise how the bigger picture can be helped there will be no need to sacrifice our racing locally or Nationally and it is my opinion we will HELP make it more fun and profitable for all.
Above all I feel both methods of racing need to exist but the balance is not currently there. By having opportunities to create a show again(TOP/SS, TOP/STK, Jr. Stk .....) choices can be made of which type of racing indiividuals prefer and be used to add spectator appeal.By Reduction of classes, competition can return to National events where "class" is run. This will also aid in making the AHFS more effective and everyone wins....
Thanks Rick
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote