View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #57
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,782 Times in 1,521 Posts
Default Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

I went to Island yesterday. For those who don't know, Island is a good track that can be fast but it's nowhere near the "ego massage" that Cecil is.
To get started, I would like to (again) thank Doug Hoven for all of the help that he has given me and for being patient enough to try and teach "an old dog new tricks".
I got 6 runs in as the track wasn't all that crowded but by afternoon, the weather was threatening. Because of that, I didn't take the time to let the car cool off between runs (roughly 140* vs. 180*) which, so far seems to be worth about a tenth.
On the first pass, the car went a 15.73 @ 85.37 in the same state of tune that it was in when it went a 15.73 @ 85.71 a few weeks ago.
So far, this thing has been running with about +/- 18* of TOTAL advance in it and an O2 voltage of +/-12.4.
The second pass, I (Doug) added 4* of timing and it ran ----- the same thing. More Nannys need to be changed.
Third pass, 15.68 @ 85.86 and it's now -------- spinning the tires.
Fourth pass, 2* more timing and 15.53 @ 86.14 and this thing is really starting to feel and sound good!
Fifth pass, changed all of the timing Nannys to a "locked" 29* total. I can now get almost 3000 RPM out of the converter on the brake and it -------- wheel hopped and spun like crazy.
Last pass, I went back to my 2200 RPM launch and went a 15.48 @ 85.97 with some slight wheel spin but with a best ever 2.14 60'.
As I've been adding timing, the O2 voltage has been creeping down into the mid 11s which I'm going to guess is some kind of "self preservation" thing.
From what little I know of O2 values, I am going to guess that this thing is rich and getting richer as I raise the timing. I don't know how to change the mixture yet but I'm hoping to get out once or twice more but that is looking doubtful at this point.
I just can't get over how this car responds to the simplest things. It has a great sound to it now and I can't wait to see and hear how it responds to a header and more tuning!
There is no longer ANY doubt in my mind that this combo is a fine way to go Stock Eliminator racing on a tight budget!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked