View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 04:14 PM   #19
JP1738

Liked 344 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: Too Slow/Q-Jet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
Q-jets aren't really "cut and dry" across the board. Some carbs are good with a little work, and others are slow no matter how much effort is thrown at them. If the money isn't there to send a carb out to be built by one of the "gurus," then I would suggest buying the Quadrajet book by Cliff Ruggles. I surprised myself with how much I was able to accomplish with some basic mods to a bone stock Q-Jet. I believe what was meant by a "fast throttle plate" means the linkage was made to open the primaries and secondaries at the same time, unlike the stock progressive linkage that opens the primaries a decent amount first before opening the secondaries. The 1-1 linkage carbs tend to not drive around as well, but some swear by them being faster. As far as tuning goes, the car will tell you what it likes and doesn't like. MSDs can cause plugs to look good even when things aren't so good. I would suggest taking some "swings" at jetting, rods, and trying a few different hangers if you have some. Even if what you already have ends up being the best, at least you'll learn something.
I really like this attitude. I'm absolutely not above trying to make changes. Like you said, at the very least I might learn something. I do not have any extra hangers or rods to try though, do you know where I can get more components to try?
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote