View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: When does SFI cert. run out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Verwold View Post
Have to disagree with ya on the UV rays thing Tom. Most all cars are in the trailer or put up for the winter. What little time they see in the daylight they would take 20 years to deteriorate...that's my .02
Bob, when I raced my Willys coupe ,I would agree with you 100%,no daylight ever got into the car thru those little windows ,but now with the roadster, after 1 season,I can see fading and degradiation of the harness...Nylon really dos not like UV.........I'd say on an average race weekend my car is out in the direct sunlight at least 25 to 30 hours ......As I understand it the 2 year rule came about due to our friends, the New Jersey State Police,who oversee racing in that fair state. ....Back in the '80's they decieded to enforce their 2 year rule,which had been in place for circle track racers,upon drag racing. While it does make sense for a dirt modified that gets a pressure washing anywhere and everywhere to replace the belts more frequently,3 or 4 years might be more reasonable for a closed drag car. ........I have no problem replacing something like belts,gloves ect. stuff like that does wear out, but stamped formed shields or cast trans cases, just do not make sense,even at a 5 year interval....That is for the financial benefit of the SFI . I dont believe the manufacturers make much out of the $35 they charge for the recert, altho I may be wrong.......Tom