CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Remembering Those We Lost (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   John "Hammer" Leichtamer Passes (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=86673)

Jim Wahl 02-01-2024 10:21 PM

John "Hammer" Leichtamer Passes

John "Hammer" Leichtamer passed away today after a long battle with Congestive Heart Failure. John was a big part of the staff of the Southern Stock/Super Stock Association for over 10 years. A former Stock Eliminator racer in both Division One and Two for many years, John knew everyone and everyone knew him. From Stock to Pro Stock, Hammer was friends with most all racers. John was born in Ohio with one hand but that didn't stop him from owning his own successful automotive business in Sanford Florida for more than 20 years. John is survived by his devoted cousin Dave Leichhamer. Hammer was a unique individual and will be missed. Jim

Alan Roehrich 02-02-2024 10:08 AM

Re: John "Hammer" Leichtamer Passes

Hammer was a real character. The sport has suffered another loss, he will be missed.

Mike Pearson 02-02-2024 10:23 AM

Sorry to hear this awful news. RIP "Hammer"

MR DERBY CITY 02-02-2024 11:02 AM

It’s like every week we lose another racer. When I would go to Gainesville I would make it a point to look John up. When you think about it he was a pretty courageous guy . Born with a handicap but it didn’t slow him down, AT ALL !! He operated an auto repair business AND raced a STICK shift car …. No PUZZY automatic for John L. GODSPEED my friend !!!! :):)

James Perrone 02-02-2024 11:21 AM

Dam. Rip. Hammer #1 ball buster
He always called Jimmy because he knew I don’t answer to it
And would constantly tell me Get that ladies transmission out of my car
He was a good soul always looked forward to the ball busting
It never stoped 😂 my friend

KennyAnderson 02-02-2024 11:43 AM

Very sad news. Race in Peace Hammer....

PS. He was so excited when we bought our wagon. Every time we saw him he offered to give us a clutch pedal for it! Lol! Sorry buddy, still not happening!

jimmyparker 02-02-2024 11:57 AM

To those who knew Hammer this tale won't be a surprise at all. At the '97 All Stars race i was bounced in tech for the exhaust valves, Woodro had recently started using stainless valves and tech oKed my intakes but said the exhause valves were too shiny? As most knows at the All Stars race if you had tech issues you could correct and race. Hammer to the rescue, he left the track, found a auto machine shop somewhere, procured 8 used exhaust valves, had them faced and back to the track in short order. After installing tech rechecked combustion chambers and oked.

What else can you say about Hammer except what a nice person who was always eager to help anyone he could and i will never forget his generosity.

Rest in peace Hammer you will be missed by all that ever met you.

Jimmy Parker

Dave Turner 02-02-2024 12:03 PM

I met the infamous "Hammer" at a racers gathering while attending the PRI show in Orlando. Over the years, we traded insults and loved it!! He teased the heck out of me for buying my stocker and running at as an automatic entry...sacrilege in his eyes, and he wouldn't let me off the hook.
RIP John...you were one of a kind and wore it well. :(

Carguy49 02-02-2024 12:40 PM

R.I.P. John. Even though John was born with limitations, he didn't rely on others to make his life great. Many people today would just complain that I can't do anything, just look at me. Kudos to John for making a difference, even though he had physical limitations. We need more people like John. May God bless his family and friends at this tough time.

Joe Martens 02-02-2024 12:43 PM

RIP Hammer!