CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   PCV vs EVac (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=78659)

AveryMcLawhorn 02-23-2021 10:34 AM

PCV vs EVac

Any suggestions for 283 SS motor. Trying to figure out which path to go.

bykr 02-23-2021 12:55 PM

Re: PCV vs EVac

Evac. I don't see why you 'd want to put blowby into the intake.

Mark Yacavone 02-24-2021 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 635088)
Evac. I don't see why you 'd want to put blowby into the intake.

Crankcase vacuum.

Actually, you need both. One breather goes to back of carb. The other goes to a Y and to both collector probes.
Now you've got suction at all times, one way or the other.
If it really works good , you can turn the seals around on the crank ;-)

All you need then , is a crankcase vacuum port and a gauge. That gives you something else to look at in the lights :-)

bykr 02-26-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 635126)
Crankcase vacuum.

Actually, you need both. One breather goes to back of carb. The other goes to a Y and to both collector probes.
Now you've got suction at all times, one way or the other.
If it really works good , you can turn the seals around on the crank ;-)

All you need then , is a crankcase vacuum port and a gauge. That gives you something else to look at in the lights :-)

So the increased crankcase vacuum ( better ring seal ?) offsets the intake charge dillution?

Dave Noll 02-26-2021 09:48 PM

For years I had a separator in the vacuum line between the carb and valve cover of my Cleveland. I've never had to drain any oil out of it.

Mark Yacavone 02-26-2021 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykr (Post 635336)
So the increased crankcase vacuum ( better ring seal ?) offsets the intake charge dillution?

It should anyway.
I'll take a controlled vacuum leak anyway I can, in a limited induction class...That goes for choke heat passages and hot idle compensators too ;-)

e vassar 03-02-2021 09:41 PM

So when I had my carburetor car...I had a idea to create as many vacum leaks as possible, and jet up to compensate, the engine would run like it had a bigger carb. I was told NO...they will check for that.

Mark Yacavone 03-02-2021 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e vassar (Post 635707)
So when I had my carburetor car...I had a idea to create as many vacum leaks as possible, and jet up to compensate, the engine would run like it had a bigger carb. I was told NO...they will check for that.

Yes, intentional vacuum leaks are illegal.
What I mentioned come from the factory that way... ;-)