CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   overheat (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=70318)

Irondog 07-02-2018 07:31 AM

overheat

Any ideas why passenger side head is getting hotter than the other. Temp gauge goes through the roof at the end of the track. we've had head of and compression checks on all cylinders and pressure tested cooling system. checked water pump everything is fine....

pmrphil 07-02-2018 08:12 AM

Re: overheat

I had a customer with a small block Ford that "cooked" just one head, turned out his "new" water pump was to blame - changed the pump (and nothing else) after repairing the head (yes, the head gasket was oriented correctly) and the problem was gone.

GTX JOHN 07-02-2018 04:59 PM

What engine combo?

brett3533 07-02-2018 05:44 PM

water pump not running the flow the proper way ? does your combination have reverse flow such as later model engines and fords do need to the reverse the polarity on water pumps sometimes so they run backwards

Rory McNeil 07-02-2018 06:19 PM

If its a small block Ford, both standard and reverse rotation water pumps were used. The cars with V belts uswed standard rotation water pumps, when the 79 Mustangs & Capris debuted, the 302 (5.0L) V8 was equipped with a single serpentine belt system, which used the reverse roation pump. However, other Ford during that period of time,(PU trucks, vans, Fairmont/Zephyr, Granda etc) retained the V belts and standard rotation water pumps.

Lew Silverman 07-02-2018 11:41 PM

Just one question -

Was this something that just started happening on a engine that was cooling properly? If this is a brand new combo, and you've already disassembled it (to check for the wrong head gasket, etc) and you're sure that, as others have noted, your water pump is rotating in the right direction, could you swap cylinder heads from side to side and see whether or not the problem follows? Could be nothing more than a blocked passage in the head not allowing proper coolant flow.

Hope you find your problem!

340Cuda 07-03-2018 10:08 AM

I am a Mopar guy so I will probably be of little help. However I saw something recently about cooling problems on small block Fords if a thermostat was not used. Seemed like you had to have the correct thermostat or block off a passage under the thermostat to get correct circulation..

Bill

gsa612 07-03-2018 10:44 AM

Irondog,if you can post the make of car.Your pictures show a 1st and 3rd gen.Camaro.I had a CSR w/pump and the impeller was turning on the shaft,not moving the coolant.Take off the cap and see if the water is circulating. gsa612