CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Indy To Go or Not To Go that is the question (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=76938)

B Parker 08-05-2020 08:38 PM

Indy To Go or Not To Go that is the question

I'm on the fence about going. Just not crazy about the format for this year. What do you guys think? BP

TOSTO RACING 08-05-2020 08:43 PM

Re: Indy To Go or Not To Go that is the question

No Class No Go! lol.

Cotten 08-05-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B Parker (Post 620223)
I'm on the fence about going. Just not crazy about the format for this year. What do you guys think? BP

We were on the fence as well, but then decided what the hell, I've got nothing better to do.

Hope to see you there, this year or next.

James Perrone 08-05-2020 09:26 PM

No thanks. Good luck to all that go.

Chip THELEGEND Johnson 08-05-2020 09:38 PM

With the shortened Schedule a working man may be able to save enough vacation time to go. 😁

nssracer 08-05-2020 10:11 PM

Going...live 172 miles away.

B Parker 08-05-2020 10:35 PM

I haven't been able to race much the last several years so I don't get many grade points. It's the only National Event that I can get into. I know my Brother plans on going. Mr.Tim Barret is going and I do believe this is his first. If you see him out there stop by and say Hi. Couldn't find a nicer guy. Indy has been the only track to actually give me goose bumps. It is the big go. At first I said no way but I'm falling on the going side of the fence. Barry

SS3718 08-06-2020 12:08 AM

While this year will be different than years past, it is still the US Nationals. Mr. Brian Lohnes posted the below message on Social Media a few years back which still holds true today!

Personally, I’m excited and looking forward to the Big Go.

For 57 years, NHRA drag racers have gathered at this place outside of Indianapolis to test their mettle against the best competitors from around North America and the world. There have been moments of overachievement, stunning failure, triumph, and heartbreak.

From Jim Nicholl exploding his dragster in the lights at the end of the 1970 race to Bob Glidden appearing in 13 straight final rounds, to wondrous underdog stories like that of Kebin Kinsley last year, this ground brings out the best, most intense, and sometimes heart stopping elements of the sport I love.

There are about 850 drag racers entered to compete this year at the Chevrolet Performance US Nationals. 14 of them will hoist a Wally when we complete the event on Monday, crowning champions in categories ranging from stock eliminator to top fuel.

For me there’s nothing like this place and this week. The talent, grit, and determination of the competitors will be on full display starting this morning. They come with a bounce in their step, hope springing eternal. By the time we finish that bounce has been replaced with a purposeful stride, a furrowed brow, and laser-like focus.

Drag racing is a sport of momentary perfection. Be better than whoever is opposite you on the race track and advance. The US Nationals will end swiftly and without herald for more than 800 people. A miscue of hundredths of a second will torpedo a 1,500 mile trip (or more) to the event and allow many quiet hours of reflection on the ride home. As unforgiving as it is brutal, this race takes no prisoners.

Good luck to all that are here, preparing to compete. I admire each and every person with the guts to strap in and who dares to dream the big dream of slaying this monster. Ultimate success at the Big Go is career defining.

I look forward to shaking the hands of winners on Monday, some for the first time and some for the only time.

This is Indy, this is the Big Go, this is the one that started it all. This is your time to shine. Be safe, be fast, and be better than the guy or girl in the other lane. Just that simple.

Kenny Bomar 08-06-2020 01:41 AM

I was there 1970 near the starting line when Jim Nichol crashed me and Eddie Wilbanks were on a scooter and were at the crash site in a few minutes and saw Jim walk to the ambulance!! Will never forget it !!

GTX JOHN 08-06-2020 05:07 AM

Without Class = We will not tow 2,000 miles again each way!