CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Competition Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   bowtie heads? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=40813)

firebird 05-17-2012 10:46 AM

bowtie heads?

i was all sold on the phase 3 --0034 heads for modified that the iron heads are required, but i see some other numbers that look good for a hi-winding 302. i need your input and suggestions----thanks

NWDragracing 05-17-2012 09:30 PM

Re: bowtie heads?

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird (Post 326853)
i was all sold on the phase 3 --0034 heads for modified that the iron heads are required, but i see some other numbers that look good for a hi-winding 302. i need your input and suggestions----thanks

The only approved head for the GM cars is the Bowtie Vortec head.
Check your PM.

kh5speed 05-21-2012 10:44 AM

I know that the Comp Cams RHS 14 degree is legal for SS/CS

NWDragracing 05-21-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kh5speed (Post 327509)
I know that the Comp Cams RHS 14 degree is legal for SS/CS

Well, the cylinder head is not in the NHRA approved list for SS/CS.

To my knowledge, the cylinder head is only approved for Nostalgia Junior A Fuel dragsters only.

kh5speed 05-22-2012 07:46 AM

Comp got the okay last winter, I'm not sure why it's not in the guide, but I know SS/CS guys have bought some, and may be running them. I sure did'nt want them approved because I was in the middle of building a iron headed LS1.

Alan Roehrich 05-22-2012 02:20 PM

I'd want to see written approval from Glendora before I tried to build and run a 14 degree aftermarket head engine in SS/CS. I have not even seen a written revision of the rule which states "OEM casting,,,,,,, with OEM number cast into head".

NWDragracing 05-22-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kh5speed (Post 327712)
Comp got the okay last winter, I'm not sure why it's not in the guide, but I know SS/CS guys have bought some, and may be running them. I sure did'nt want them approved because I was in the middle of building a iron headed LS1.

Interesting! :rolleyes: I wonder how it got approved.
The cylinder head, P/N 12561873, was only used for two years on GM trucks with the LR4 and LQ4 engines

The LS1 cast iron cylinder head is a truck engine cylinder head.
Super Stock stock rules say truck engines are prohibited.

I am with Alan here, where is the written proof from NHRA?

randy wilson 05-31-2012 09:40 AM

I called Chris at comp cams, and the 14 degree RHS head is not legal for SS\CS.

Mike Mans 07-13-2012 12:21 PM

If anyone is interested, we may be liquidating all of our 304" Chevy SS/CS stuff in the near future. We have run Chevy Bowtie Vortec heads from the beginning, and they can definitely make power.

In addition to the conversation though, there are a couple other iron head castings that we got approved over the winter months - but none of them have shown to be as good (or actually available for purchase) yet as the Bowtie Vortec.

Mike Mans

Glenn Briglio 07-23-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike mans (Post 335275)
if anyone is interested, we may be liquidating all of our 304" chevy ss/cs stuff in the near future. We have run chevy bowtie vortec heads from the beginning, and they can definitely make power.

In addition to the conversation though, there are a couple other iron head castings that we got approved over the winter months - but none of them have shown to be as good (or actually available for purchase) yet as the bowtie vortec.

Mike mans

x2