CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Exhaust Gaskets (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=73403)

Fred D Bartoli 06-20-2019 04:41 PM

Exhaust Gaskets

Can anyone recommend a set of exhaust gaskets that work on a small block Chevy with hooker adapter plates.? Tried several over the years haven't found anything that doesn't leak.

Thanks

pmrphil 06-20-2019 05:46 PM

Re: Exhaust Gaskets

Remflex. They won't leak.

Dave Turner 06-20-2019 08:03 PM

Fred, you will not be disappointed with Remflex! :)

monte385 06-21-2019 09:37 AM

If you have good flat flanges, Hi Temp silicone works great.

Kevin Panzino 06-21-2019 10:48 AM

Fred, if you’re talking about between the adapter and the head, I don’t use a gasket and have had zero problems. Just lightly butter it with red rtv and bolt the plate onto the head with no gasket.
For between the plates and the header flange I really haven’t had a problem with mr gasket typical gaskets. BUT I have learned after you first fire up the engine and get em hot for the first tine, come back and snug up on the header bolts. You’ll typically find em a bit loose and if you don’t snug em, after a dozen passes they’ll leak out and burn up.

Jeff Niceswanger 06-22-2019 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We made our own. And have been using the same identical gaskets for over a decade. Must have been on and off 50 times. No leaks what so ever. I have to give brother John the credit. He found this material that they used where he worked. ( Gore-Tex) They used it in the boiler rooms. We just took a small sheet of it, found a gasket we liked and fit, and copied at a cad table with a knife blade on it. I know why nobody sells them, you would never sell a second set !
This is a second set we cut out by hand but have not needed …...

Ron Miller 06-22-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger (Post 591094)
We made our own. And have been using the same identical gaskets for over a decade. Must have been on and off 50 times. No leaks what so ever. I have to give brother John the credit. He found this material that they used where he worked. ( Gore-Tex) They used it in the boiler rooms. We just took a small sheet of it, found a gasket we liked and fit, and copied at a cad table with a knife blade on it. I know why nobody sells them, you would never sell a second set !
This is a second set we cut out by hand but have not needed …...

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I let my Fingers do the walking on the net. I might have found a supplier near me in AnnArbor, Mi.

Thanks Again,

Fred D Bartoli 06-22-2019 10:16 PM

Jeff,

Thanks they have it at Mc Master Carr.

MR DERBY CITY 06-22-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monte385 (Post 591048)
If you have good flat flanges, Hi Temp silicone works great.

Amen, haven’t used exhaust gaskets in years.....

Jeff Niceswanger 06-22-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY (Post 591142)
Amen, haven’t used exhaust gaskets in years.....

Silicone is a mess. And you have to clean it off every time you take them apart MJ. Call me lazy but I like using reusable gaskets that seal as good as silicone without all the disadvantages ..