CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sportsnationals (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=76362)

GUMP 06-01-2020 09:32 AM

Sportsnationals Class?

Can anyone confirm that there will be class eliminations at the two Sportsnationals?

MR DERBY CITY 06-02-2020 12:37 PM

Re: Sportsnationals Class?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUMP (Post 615643)
Can anyone confirm that there will be class eliminations at the two Sportsnationals?

A better question is will the Sportsnats be contested at Columbus ? Word on the street is Norwalk is packing it in for the season....I do realize there was a race at 42 last week.....

Mike Fuller 06-02-2020 12:48 PM

Re: Sportsnationals

Norwalk is closed for the season. Formal announcement will be made tomorrow.

MR DERBY CITY 06-02-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fuller (Post 615736)
Norwalk is closed for the season. Formal announcement will be made tomorrow.

You heard it HERE first, ......LOL....

Ben Holt 06-02-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY (Post 615734)
A better question is will the Sportsnats be contested at Columbus ? Word on the street is Norwalk is packing it in for the season....I do realize there was a race at 42 last week.....

As of now the double weekend at trails is a go. Ohio is opening up the racing portion and, hopefully, it keeps removing restrictions. Trails has been racing the last two weekends and have been adding more to its schedule as well.

Steve Polhill 06-03-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Holt (Post 615746)
As of now the double weekend at trails is a go. Ohio is opening up the racing portion and, hopefully, it keeps removing restrictions. Trails has been racing the last two weekends and have been adding more to its schedule as well.

The turnout will be **** though. As of Today NHRA has a National event at Indy the week before and the week of the Sports Nat's in Columbus. Not only will the turn out be low due to Covid but now racers have to choose between two event's 200 miles apart.

james schaechter 06-03-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Polhill (Post 615815)
The turnout will be **** though. As of Today NHRA has a National event at Indy the week before and the week of the Sports Nat's in Columbus. Not only will the turn out be low due to Covid but now racers have to choose between two event's 200 miles apart.

I would be surprised if there were a lot of stock superstocks at these national events. I would expect low quotas. Just a guess. I am sure some more detail is coming soon. They are updating the event entry site now.

Superfan1 06-03-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james schaechter (Post 615817)
I would be surprised if there were a lot of stock superstocks at these national events. I would expect low quotas. Just a guess. I am sure some more detail is coming soon. They are updating the event entry site now.

The 2 National events at Indy in July have no Sportsman racing; they should have no effect on the Sportsnationals.

This is from the NHRA website - The first event, July 11-12, will feature all four Mello Yello classes – Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, and Pro Stock Motorcycle – while the second event, July 18-19, will feature Top Fuel and Funny Car along with the E3 Spark Plugs Pro Mod Series presented by J&A Service, Mickey Thompson Tires Top Fuel Harley Series, and the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown. Neither event will include Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series competition.

Dave Casey 06-03-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Polhill (Post 615815)

I disagree Steve, I think that the lack of racing from our current situation may actually increase the car count. Even if they run sportsman cars at Indy, class racers like , well , class racing,, and the Sportsnationals represents that more than any other event. I have not talked to a single racer that is planning on staying home because of the virus. There maybe some, but few I would guess. It is a personal choice.

Now to the original question, has it been confirmed that there will be class as usual at the Sports ?

Ben Holt 06-04-2020 12:00 AM

Like has been already posted, there are no traditional sportsman classes to be ran at the two July indy events. There are, apparently, going to be jegs super quick and et type brackets (good choice for filler) to be ran, though. And per my conversation with track management (albeit last month, but things are only getting better) there will be class at the sports at trails. One time trail Saturday morning and straight j to class. I don't see why that wouldn't still be happening. I would assume, even though it will be in the middle of July, that these races (at Columbus) will be well attended.....