CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Garage Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   wire feed welder ? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=78976)

rod 04-02-2021 11:18 PM

wire feed welder ?

I have HF AC welder. it splatters. does the DC welder do more or less?
thanks Rod in AZ

novassdude 04-05-2021 09:42 AM

Re: wire feed welder ?

Is it a wire feed? Solid wire or Flux core? or Stick welder?

rod 04-05-2021 09:11 PM

it is an AC flux core wire feed. welds good for what I do. just lots of berries
in corners or tight areas.
Rod

Mark Yacavone 04-05-2021 09:14 PM

There are better grades of flux core wire..Hint: Don't use the stuff that comes with it.

1matcoman 04-06-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 638114)
There are better grades of flux core wire..Hint: Don't use the stuff that comes with it.

^^^ this !!!

novassdude 04-06-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod (Post 638113)
it is an AC flux core wire feed. welds good for what I do. just lots of berries
in corners or tight areas.
Rod

I am far from an expert but I know on mine (Century welder) using flux core I always get a good amount of splatter. Same welder using gas is much cleaner. I never did try different brands of wire.

SSDiv6 04-07-2021 10:24 AM

I have a Century (Lincoln) Flux Mig.

Like Mark said, the amount of splatter depends on the brand of the wire. I only use Forney and Lincoln and the amount of splatter is minimum.

4ktowman 04-07-2021 04:00 PM

I have used anti splatter spray helps a lot to clean splatter off ...plus smells like frying fish when welding...lol

rod 04-14-2021 11:25 PM

I noticed, the other morning when welding, in areas when it is hard to get the nozzle just right, there was more splatter. and in an area, where 'everything was perfect' way less. and that was one why I asked. inside angle iron corners seem to be bad. guess it because of nozzle position.
not to cause hard feelings, but...have you ever looked at harbor freight flux wire and then looked at forney. exactly the same. except HF is way cheaper. just sayin'.
thanks Rod in AZ

SSDiv6 04-15-2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod (Post 638709)
I noticed, the other morning when welding, in areas when it is hard to get the nozzle just right, there was more splatter. and in an area, where 'everything was perfect' way less. and that was one why I asked. inside angle iron corners seem to be bad. guess it because of nozzle position.
not to cause hard feelings, but...have you ever looked at harbor freight flux wire and then looked at forney. exactly the same. except HF is way cheaper. just sayin'.
thanks Rod in AZ

They may look the same, however, the composition is different.