CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Race Rigs/Equipment: Classifieds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   motor Home power (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=75793)

Dick Butler 03-24-2020 09:03 PM

motor Home power

Looking at used Motor Home with V10 Ford. Noticed at least 1 or two identical on several ots traded at low mileage. Why ? could it be weak motor versus diesel? Any body
comment on v 10 power in 30 ft Motor Home?

Jeff Stout 03-24-2020 10:41 PM

Re: motor Home power

Foots to the floor so much of the time. Terrible gas mileage. Working motor that had just gets worn out. Diesel may be more cost in maintenance and fuel but better diesel mileage makes up for that part.

jmcarter 03-25-2020 05:45 AM

On a Ford V10 F53 chassis you’re essentially sitting above the motor which makes the noise such that it’s harder to have conversations. Lots of RPM too compared to diesel plus most pushers have air suspension supplementing their springs to soften the ride. Dramatically higher maintenance costs can be partially offset by getting side radiator so you can do much of it yourself. Big advantage of the diesel is engine brakes, with a good two stage brake you’ll barely use the brake on those long downhill stretches.

Glenn Briglio 03-25-2020 06:10 AM

Power is ok. Got a 27 mh with the V10 and 6spd auto.Pulling a 24 ft enclosed weighing approx 8000 lbs I get 9mpg.Tow at 65 to 70mph.

BA1927 03-25-2020 08:07 AM

It's all about what you are going to pull - we have used coaches to tow various trailer's from open to low profile stacker's - we have used Class C to Diesel Pushers but what you tow is the BIG FACTOR a Class A gas coach is normally only capable of towing 5,000 lbs legal so if you have an open trailer and a door car you would probably be ok with a Gas Class A as long as your travel route doesn't take you through the mountains if so then all bet's are off we have a 6 mile hill in route to a track that we race at and with that combo you will be in the far right lane before you reach the top - just my $.02 from my experience hope this may be of some use - Bob

Mark Ruset 03-25-2020 03:18 PM

I am very satisfied with my 2018 F53 V10 motorhome, I previously had a 1999 V10 in a Class C E450 chassis. The 2018 pulls the trailer effortlessly. Like what was said , it all depends on your total weight. For me I couldn't be anymore happier.

jimmyparker 03-25-2020 07:50 PM

Ultra Rv has programs for 3 valve V-10's that helps to the tune of 50hp and 50 foot pounds of torque and helps some with the down shifting problems. They cost $495 but each one is tailored to your RV, they send you a hand held device to pull your strategy code, you ship it back and in a few days you get it back with the new program. You can tell the difference backing it out of the driveway!

James Perrone 03-26-2020 08:42 AM

I have been towing with a v10. 33 ft Rv for 15 years
First one 2002 brand new. What a dog. But it served its purpose was good to me.
Traded up to a 2011 Thor v10. What a difference. Way more power better stopping
Oh course you have to run up a hill. foot to floor but it does a good job.
Don’t by new rv. Buy used it’s a much better deal bugs worked out

XSTOCKER 03-27-2020 11:11 AM

Good info and keep it coming. Anyone pulling an enclosed trailer with an 8.1 chevy?
Looks like some of the newer V10 Fords have an 8k towing package.

jimmyparker 03-28-2020 12:11 PM

Terry, I used an 8.1 powered Winnebago for 14 years, it was trouble free with the exception of the front brakes, front calipers were replaced a couple of times and the dash air was terrible no matter what I tried. The advantages of the 8.1 is the power and they were equipped with Allison transmissions in the workhorse chassis. I have a v-10 Ford now and really miss the 8.1 and Allison. If you can find a clean unit with the 8.1 I highly recommend.