CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   68 SS Chevelle stocker questions (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=74804)

Rory Christianson 11-23-2019 04:09 PM

68 SS Chevelle stocker questions

Hi
Just picked up 68 SS in pces, I want to turn it into a bit of a poor boys stocker before I at some point restore it all.
It is currently a 396 325hp 4 speed car.
I was wanting to run a 396 as I have a few
Not sure 4 speed or auto
Was maybe hoping to stay under the radar of a roll bar, but not written in stone.
Any pointers and advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

My first motor will probably be a 325 hp or 350 hp as I already have a bored block and pistons so I would like to use it and as I said to get it out for the first year or two it will be somewhat of a poor boy stocker, will not be setting any class records haha. Thanks !!!

larrylomascolo 11-23-2019 04:33 PM

Re: 68 SS Chevelle stocker questions

Roll bar is a must as per rules ,that combo will require one

Rory Christianson 11-23-2019 04:48 PM

Roll bar it is 👍👍

Dan Fahey 11-23-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rory Christianson (Post 602581)
Roll bar it is 👍👍

Find someone who can make it easier to get in and out of the car..
Like being able to get behind the front seat, creative but with in Rules..

Larry Hill 11-23-2019 05:34 PM

Buy a rule book, it will help more than you would think and save costly redos . Print a copy of 1968 engine blue print specs. Don't be afraid to speak with NHRA Tech, they are always a big help. Good luck!

Rory Christianson 11-24-2019 02:53 AM

Thanks for the responses
I have a rule book for sure and have printed out engine blueprint specs. Will just have to do some reading again to learn what I've forgot.
I will probably have a few questions over the build for sure, and will touch base with my division tech for sure.
Thanks again !!!

Lee Valentine 11-24-2019 07:50 AM

396-325 auto,proven combo. Down side fits in tough classes lots of chances for heads up runs.

Rory Christianson 11-24-2019 12:49 PM

Yes I was kind of wondering that also but One thing is until I can travel a little more most of the reasonably local NHRA opens that I might catch close by don't get to many cars, so might be a smaller chance for a heads up.
Other choice I have is a 70 nova I could use and maybe use a different combo.
The nova I have no issues with welding in a roll bar, Frame connectors etc., chevelle was a little on the fence with doing a roll bar in it, but I guess I would, want to do a little playing with one of them.

Mark Ruset 11-24-2019 03:22 PM

Look into the S&W roll bars. They make an awesome kit that fits perfectly without hacking up the car. For ease of entry and exit I would suggest a swing out bar. A little extra money but well worth it.

Rory Christianson 11-24-2019 03:41 PM

Sounds good, have used there stuff before with good results, thx