CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Trailer Bearings and grease (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=73473)

Rory McNeil 06-28-2019 06:14 PM

Trailer Bearings and grease

I recently had to replace a bad wheel bearing on my 24 foot Wells Cargo trailer, with 5200 lb Dexter "NevRLube" axles. The only bearing I could find in the area was a Chinese made unit in a National Bearing box. Does anybody have anything good to say about these off shore bearings, or should I be looking to find some North American made bearings, if that is even possible these days? Also, I have Lucas "Red and Tacky" grease, anybody use this grease on their trailer bearings, or should I look for a different brand? Most of my racing happens close to home, rarely more than a 3 hour tow, normally only 1 hour, with about 2500 miles a year of towing. any thoughts on how often I should be repacking my bearings? Every year seems like overkill, but 4 years obviously is not enough! Odd thing is that the inner bearings still had plenty of clean grease on them, but both outers on the rear axle were brown and rusty.

Rich Biebel 06-28-2019 08:13 PM

Re: Trailer Bearings and grease

My Classic Terminator trailer has Nev-R-Lube bearings and they are sealed cartridges. They can't be repacked.....They press into the drum and have a snap ring to retain them....

I replaced all mine and kept the old ones as spares.

If you have bearings that can be repacked they are not the sealed type I have and I would not call them Nev-R-Lube.....

The best wheel bearing grease is red synthetic waterproof grease and if you use that you'll get way better bearing life. Chemsearch is a company we get that grease from.

My old 22' trailer regularly hurt bearings until I used similar grease....

I would try to find some better bearings.....and Made in USA...

Rory McNeil 06-29-2019 12:50 AM

My mistake, Rich, I mixed up the names of the features of the Dexter axles, it has NevRAdjust trailer brakes, they call the wheel bearings "EZLube", they have a grease nipple under each dust cap so you can pump grease into the spindle, which is drilled so the grease goes into the inner bearing, and pushes the old grease out towards the dust cap, hopefully without pushing grease past the inner seals.
As for the Lucas Red N Tacky grease I have, it is a red Lithium based grease with good rating (GC-LB), so I am hoping it should work well for the bearings.

Rusty Davenport 07-01-2019 02:25 PM

If you do a little research you will find out that "mixing" brands and types of grease is absolutely NOT RECOMMENDED !!!!! Just a note of extreme caution.

FED 387 07-01-2019 03:44 PM

X 2!!!!!!!!

Run to Rund 07-02-2019 12:07 PM

If you download the Dexter hubs-drums-bearings manual, it has recommended greases in it. They use lithium complex grease. Some other types of greases are sodium or aluminum complex.

Bob Mulry 07-03-2019 03:10 PM

When they first started installing disc brakes from the factory there was a special Hi-Temp Disc Brake Moly Wheel Bearing grease...

I guess that I've been using it on every wheel bearing that I have packed in the last 50 years with good results....

Boat trailers excepted..

GTX JOHN 07-04-2019 05:31 PM

My son Jon builds and sells trailers......He will not use ANYTHING
but Dexter Axles Bearings Suspension on the trailers he sells.

He replaces a lot of Chinese Crap every week
from other manufacturers for people traveling thru our little town
to Vegas or further West.

Yes Dexter is a bit more money......But.

lo23m8b 07-18-2019 10:09 PM

I've been using Mobil 1 red synthetic as of late because I can no longer find the old Hi-Performance Hi-Temp Blue. It's seems OK. But never mix greases because if the bases are different it will break down. If you are using a new product fully clean the old bearings then pack them good. Regular maintenance is the key. On the job for 50 years.

Mike Pearson 07-19-2019 09:23 AM

All of the bearings and seals for that axle are available at NAPA. I also have 5200 LB Dexter easy lube axles under my trailer. I have been using the NAPA bearings in my trailer as needed. I have been using the Valvoline red tacky grease. I do tow long distances at times. I have had some issue with one axle and hub killing the outside bearing and race. Recently I put a new hub. brakes and bearings on that spindle. so far it has been OK. If your tires have a weird tread wear it can put more pressure on the bearing and overheat it.