CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Original hemi dart information (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002)

Liteweight 09-17-2008 01:45 PM

Original hemi dart information

4 Attachment(s)
Hi my name is Daryl;I am new to this forum,& I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me out with some history of my 1968 original Hemi Dart. I lose it's past from the early 80's back to 1968.I am enclosing some pictures of it when it was purchased from Lou Vignona back in 1985??.There is one picture that shows a decal from the 1977 Bracket Nationals.Maybe someone will regognize it.
This is what I know of the car so far.Lou Vignona said he purchased it from some guy in Mt.Kisco(Cisco??) N.Y in the early 80's.It was in an underground parking lot of some apartment complex.The guy told Lou that it was Charlie Castaldo's Auto. car. I have since found out that it is not Castaldo's car thru talking to one of Charlie's crew members at the time by the name of Charlie Licata.When Lou purhased the car,he had it painted white.This is how Tim Henessey purchased it in 1985.
I have heard some storys about an original Hemi Dart in the N.Y. area that was known as the "two scoop Lido" car.I understand that this Lido guy installed some aftermarket scoop on top of the original scoop.Thus the name.I have spoke with Tim Henessey about this & he did say the original scoop was really messed up so he had to replace it when he restored the car.
If anyone can help me out on this,I sure would appreciate it as I have been searching for info. now for over 3 years,maybe 4.Any little detail may help no matter how small it may be.
Thankyou; Daryl

Casey Miles 09-17-2008 02:22 PM

Re: Original hemi dart information

My brother was friends with a guy named Joe Armor who owned an original Hemi Dodge Dart that was named "Ram Rod" on Long Island. From what I remember that Speedwin automotive did him an engine and it siezed, nearly crashing the car. The origninal motor was take out of the car and sold to a fire department for one of their racing fire trucks.
Joe Armor lived in North Port L. I. and if he's still around you may get some information on your car. His car was white as I remember also. I think that there was a Dart on "MY Classic Car" and the guy I think said that he had gotten it from Speedwin. It's a lead that I hope helps you out.
Casey Miles
248H E/S because of 4 HP

donald j raiser 09-17-2008 02:41 PM

what are the first 4 numbers in the vin?

dj raiser

Liteweight 09-17-2008 02:57 PM

- DJ-The first numbers in the VIN are LO23M8B_ _ _ _ _ _.
-Thankyou Casey I'll look into the Joe Armor lead.Yes there was a Dart on "My Classic Car" that was originally campaigned by Speedwin Automotive.The owners/drivers name was Joe Jill who purchased that car new.
-Here's a couple shots of my car as it sits today.

Thankyou Daryl

donald j raiser 09-17-2008 03:02 PM

IT'S THE REAL DEAL ! i'll have a name and number of a hemi historian tomorrow for you.
dj raiser

Liteweight 09-17-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liteweight (Post 83857)
- DJ-The first numbers in the VIN are LO23M8B_ _ _ _ _ _.
-Thankyou Casey I'll look into the Joe Armor lead.Yes there was a Dart on "My Classic Car" that was originally campaigned by Speedwin Automotive.The owners/drivers name was Joe Jill who purchased that car new.
-Here's a couple shots of my car as it sits today.

Thankyou Daryl

OOPS;I can't seem to attatch any more pictures to my file.guess I used up the total amount allowed.I tryed deleting one of my previous pictures,but I couldn't do that either.Sorry bout that.Anybody have a suggestion as I'm not great on the keyboard.

Daryl

Bob Rice 09-17-2008 03:13 PM

Daryl,
You have a PM.
Bob Rice

Philip Saran 09-17-2008 03:30 PM

Joe Jills "Speedwin Automotive" Hemi Dart has been restored and
is shown on the East coast.

Jo Jills lives here in SOCAL and owns/runs "Superior Automotive"
in Anaheim CA.

Good luck in your search for info on your L023 Hemi Dart.

Liteweight 09-17-2008 03:45 PM

Yes,I just saw the Speedwin car a few weeks ago at the All Hemi Reunion.It's restored back to the original paint scheme.I spoke with Joe Jills a few years back trying to get some leads on my car.Excellant person to talk to.
Daryl

jarn05 09-17-2008 03:49 PM

hi daryl, i am lou's son jimi, i saw your post on this, i remember the car when my dad got it, it still had castaldos paint and name on it before it got painted, i begged my dad and uncle not to sell the car!!!!! we also turned down the speedwin car a few years earlier for $8800.00

Wade_Owens 09-17-2008 03:52 PM

2 of my friends are doing a family tree on every original hemi dart and cuda. They are without a doubt the most knowledgible on these cars. Ask for Mark Janaky or Dell Jones. most guys on here know them, too.....

If someone hasnt already, I can pm you their #'s...

Wade O

Wayne Totaro 09-17-2008 04:02 PM

Daryl,

Call Del Jones 304-282-1019. He and Mark Janacky have more information on these cars(1968 Race Hemi Darts and Cudas) than anyone on the planet. I was the producer of the video/DVD titled The Ultimate 68 Race Hemi and have been to three of these reunions since 1992. Good Luck

Wayne

Liteweight 09-17-2008 08:06 PM

Wayne T & Wade O-Thankyou for the info.I know both Dell Jones & Mark Janaky very well.They both have been working hard on trying to find my cars identity.Mark has spent a very serious amount of time on the phone etc.,but still with no results.We are stuck at Lou Vignona & can't get no earlier.Oh ya Wayne,you will know my car as you did an interview on it in Carlisle in 1993 with the then owner Tim Hennessey.You also did an interview with the same car but with me as the owner in 2006 in Elkton,Mn.
Jimmi!!!!!!! Boy am I glad you checked this forum.I would like to speak to you if I could.I will PM you right away.

Thankyou
Daryl

Liteweight 09-18-2008 08:05 PM

I spoke with Jimi Vignona today (Son of Lou).He gave me alot of good info on my car.One of the things he told me was that when Lou purchased the car in the early eighties he had it painted white by Paul Pittman.Does anyone have some info on him????.I believe he races in Comp. & he could be working for either Don Hardy or Jerry Bickel. I would like to see if he remembers anything on my car,like maybe the colors on it before it was sprayed.

Thankyou Daryl

jarn05 09-18-2008 09:47 PM

hi daryl, your car must have had the floor replaced in it by tim hennesey, my father recalled to me that when they got the car the entire hump for the trans was removed and had a quick remove hand made cover to access the trans quickly, he does not remember if it had a clutch pedal or not, call tim and ask him im sure he will tell you he put an entire floor pan in it.

Hemiparts 09-18-2008 09:59 PM

Try this message board, these guys can tell you anything you want to know about a 68' package car www.moparts.org

John Major 09-18-2008 11:53 PM

Paul Pittman used to work for Don Ness. He is working out of his own shop now, Div. 5 comp racer & lives in MN. If needed I can get contacrt info from a friend.

Liteweight 09-19-2008 01:01 AM

John--Yes, I would appreciate a contact number for Mr. Pittman.Thankyou
Hemiparts-- I am a member of Moparts,I have not tryed to find the history there yet.It might be worth a try tho.
Jimi--I am 99.9% sure the floor has not been replaced on it.I do alot of that kind of work here in my shop,but I will have another look anyway.From what I remember the spot welds look untouched,& there is no provision for the clutch crosshaft mount on the framerail.I will look tommorrow.I will send you a picture thru your email address of an interior shot of the car when Tim just purchased it.The hump looks original for a Auto.

I really appreciate the input guys

Daryl

John Major 09-19-2008 09:48 AM

Check your PM,
John

Liteweight 09-19-2008 08:25 PM

- Jimi-I pulled the door sills today & peeled the carpet back.The floor has definately not been replaced or the tunnel has not been repaired.I also double checked to see if there was a bracket on the frame rail for the clutch crossshaft mount.There is none or there never was one installed.So that would lead me to believe it has never had any other trans in it other than a automatic.
-John- Thankyou for the contact #'s.I did get hold of Paul today & he was helpfull with some info.He did tell me that prior to him stripping the paint off the car in the early eighties,he thought it had a red & silver paint scheme on it.
I have some pictures here of an original Hemi Dart from the early 70's that is red & silver.It was called "Wildfire".Does anyone remember a car like this???? I can send pix out to anyone who is interested

Thankyou
Daryl

StrokerDave 09-20-2008 12:15 AM

If you are looking for information from ' 68 on, I would talk to Mopar "Guru" Galen Govier. I believe he even has the records from Hurst. try www.gvgovier.com

StrokerDave

68hemiss 09-20-2008 12:27 AM

Daryl and I spoke about his Dart at length today and I suggested that it may be one of two cars I have heard of or have seen photos of - unfortunately I don't know who owned/raced them - maybe someone can help? One is a black Dart that raced at Dover Dragway in NY that said "Pomona Speed Shop" on the door. I heard that the car was possibly bought from some street racers in NJ and Pomona, NY is close to Mt Kisco, NY - anyone know anything about this car? The other is a Dart that I have seen photos of at York and Pittsburg that was red & silver called the "Cookie Duster". Anyone remember this one? Possibly one of these cars might be the one Daryl has.
Thanks,
Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry

Liteweight 09-22-2008 11:44 PM

Jimi;
Could you ask your father how he found this Dart was for sale back in the early 80's?Did he find it in a advertisment,ie;National Dragster,or local paper????.Or was it thru word of mouth????

Thankyou Daryl

jarn05 09-23-2008 01:51 PM

HI daryl, it was a word of mouth deal, the car was in a lower parking garage under a apt. complex in mouth kisco , the owner was a burnout. the real deal here is when the car was sold to tim it did not have a tunnel over the trans it had a big removable cover so i would think that tim needs a call to explain what the deal is?

hemicop 09-13-2009 06:22 AM

Could this possibly be the "Manhattan Speed shop" Car?

bigshow2966 09-13-2009 11:43 AM

Has it possibly been re-bodied? That would explain the correct number tags and no floor replacement.

chris3racing 09-13-2009 07:09 PM

I would post what you know about the car on MOPARTS on the Unlawful board when you post ask if Reed has information on that race car. Also if you are at the East Coast Drag Times Reunion in October there will more than likely be people there that can tell you about the car.

bigshow2966 09-13-2009 07:23 PM

HemiFred and StewartP will be good sources also.

Sean Marconette 09-13-2009 08:27 PM

Pat Forsyth in Lawrence, Kansas. Automotive Machine & Performance. 785-843-9333

He is a wealth of information on owners of these cars and who they have changed ownership to.

Sean

John Kelley 09-13-2009 08:45 PM

If you can locate a November 1968 issue of CARS Magazine there is an article about a HEMI DART.
It's about Charlie Castaldo picking up his HEMI DART at Hurst's Hamtramck,Michigan facility.

Paul Ceasrine 09-14-2009 03:33 AM

Paul here,

I'm originally from the Mahopac, NY area, and spent pretty much every Sunday at Dover Drag Strip from 68' thru 75'. (Track closed in May 76').
We raced our Cuda's there. Also, good friends with Lou Vignogna.
He lived about a mile away from us. He spent many nights at our house helping my father work on his Cuda. Also, hung out at my fathers garage
"West Road Amoco" in Carmel, a racers haven from 67' thru 70'.
And later the machine shop, "Valley Motors" in Jefferson Valley, NY
from 71' thru 95'. So I know Lou, late wife Chrissie, brothers Ray and
Jerry "Super Scissors". (The damn guy even cut my hair for a while).
As for the Castaldo car, that Daryl has. I'm not so sure. Charlie's
car (the second one) was an original SS/BA car. But it was brown, with a
goldish center section. Not red w/ sliver-white center section. I saw that car more than a few times at Dover (69' thru 71'). Even when Charlie
put a "FOR SALE" sign in the passenger side rear-side window.
Ready for this $5500.:eek: Believe it or not, he had a little difficulty selling the car. The car flew pretty good too, 10.70's. In 70' it ran SS/AA and in 71' it split between SS/AA and Pro/Stock (a couple of times). I think
Charlie may have switched up the front grille and headlight bezels to a
69' to qualify for Pro/S at the sanctioned meets. Dover, which was not
sanctioned by the NHRA allowed the rules to be bent for earlier cars that wanted to run in Pro/Stock (2-year old car rule).
As for finding the car in a basement garage in an apartment complex in Mt. Kisco, NY, well that leaves only (2) places. the Mount Kisco Arms,
a Co-op, and another place. I knew that area, and as a Mopar-Nut, I never heard of any Hemi Super Stock car just laying around.

Paul

Bobby Zlatkin 09-14-2009 07:49 AM

In May 1970 I was at Arlen Vanke's shop in Akron, Ohio and took a bunch of pictures of the cars there (his 1st. pro stock Duster, his '68 Cuda, both painted yellow & black and a couple of the '67 Hemi Belvederes SS/DA cars).

If anyone knows how to get in touch with him I would love to send him these pictures before we both die and my kids just throw them out. I know he will enjoy them.

Paul Ceasrine 09-14-2009 01:58 PM

Bobby Z,

If you want to get in touch with Akron Arlon vanke, you can try
Geoff Stunkard at Muscle Car Review (a contributor to the magazine).
Or try Le Hodge, at Hodge Restorations, located in Inman, South Carolina.
He was the Guru who recently restored Arlen's second Barracuda,
which he bought in 69' and sold later that year. The car was painted light blue with a darh blue center section. The nose was white with a dark blue center section. On the door panel, it was lettered Arlon Vanke with
JEGS underneath his name.
The first Cuda, that won the 68' U.S Nationals S/S Eliminator was sold
in late 69', and turned into a Pro/Stock car for 1970. It is no longer with us, as it burned to Hemi-Dust in a fire.

Oh! Please don't die. The kids will sell everything, and what isn't sold
will end up on E-Bay:D
Paul C

quickford1 09-14-2009 07:59 PM

Bill Flynn out West Haven ,CT. had a red and silver Dart. The name of it was the Yankee Peddler. Bill has pass away but this could be the car.
Rich

Paul Ceasrine 09-15-2009 02:01 AM

Rich,
No on the "Yankee Peddler", that car is already accounted for. But yes,
Bill Flynn was out of New Haven. Ran the car only at NHRA events and
Match-races, as Bill was pretty popular, due to the 65' AWB car.
Northeast 68' Factory Hemi Super Stock cars.
Bill Flynn, "Yankee Peddler", New Haven, CT
Chuck McJury, "Playmate", Schenectady, NY
Charlie Lendrum, "Northern Skaker", Albany, NY
Chick Brignolo, "Play Thing", Norton, Mass.
Joe Pateli, "Deb's Automotive", Springfield, Mass.
Gene O'Neill, Worcester, Mass.
Joe Jill, "Speedwin Engineering Automitive", Mineola, L.I., New York
S & K Speed Shop, Long Island, New York, *( Sold to the Mutt Brothers
in Brooklyn, NY in late 68', who then raced it on the street)

Paul

New Jersey Hemi Darts next.
Also, Manhattan Speed Parts (Varick Street, NYC)
Pomona Speed Shop (Pomona, NY)
Jade Grenade (White Plains, NY)

Alex Polewik 09-15-2009 10:52 AM

Bobby,

Private Message sent with Arlen's number. He'd love to see them.

FYI,
Alex

dragst racer 09-15-2009 06:15 PM

The Yankee Peddler car was in Indiana for years and was sold a couple times after that and now has been redone.

jimi 09-15-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickford1 (Post 140684)
Bill Flynn out West Haven ,CT. had a red and silver Dart. The name of it was the Yankee Peddler. Bill has pass away but this could be the car.
Rich

the car in question here was one of castaldos darts period! the cars was in mine and my fathers keep for a few years you get to know a car when it is around that long.. this car had the entire floor for the trans tunnel cut out with a removeable piece,the body was pounded,raced hard and put away wet! it does not mean the floor was not replaced to perfection, tim hennesey restored this car and it was and still is one of the nicest restorations around. all this guy that owns the car now needs to do is connect the dots and get ahold of hennesey and ask the big question did he replace the entire floor pan with a stock one from another car or did he rebody it. when this car was restored it was the mid 80's there was dodge darts laying everywhere for under 1000.00 in near perfect shape, it would have been easy to obtain parts to do the job correctly with original sheetmetal.

Paul Ceasrine 09-16-2009 03:22 AM

Jimi,

Paul here. Tell your Pop, My father Vincent and I said I. Hope all is well.
I remember "Earthquake" in the barn off Route 6, behind Keane's Pub.
Absolutely the most beautiful paint job (black) on a car (Plymouth) I ever saw. (1969 or 1970). Perfect lettering too, the way the tail of the letter Q
intersected with the letter U. I remember it in SS/EA, than C/Gas with
the front I-beam (from Marin's JunkYard).
How' that for confirmation. I was only 12 at the time, but I always listened
when your Pop spoke.
OK. The first Castaldo Dart, a 4-speed was reddish-brown with a silver
center section. Raced in 68', but was wrecked at E-Town (in late 68').
I woudn't think Charlie trashed the good parts (Dana rear, S/S springs,
4-speed trans, and engine, which was built by Joe Jill of Speedwin).
Also, something from the body of the car must have been salvageable.
Lets just say, it didn't end up in the trash bin at Saw Mill Auto Wreckers in Elmsford.
Car #2. Brown, with a gold-center section. Was an automatic (SS/BA)
that Charlie ran in 69' (the car was at the Indy Nationals and ran 10.75)
and ran at Dover (69' thru 71'). Sometime in 70' or early 71' the car campaigned in Pro/Stock, and a manual-trans was added. whether it was the original 4-speed from the first Dart, a Liberty-trans or Lenco,
thta I do not know. But if the 4-speed was put in, then the floor board most likely was cut-up. If the car was restored to perfection, than I imagine all sub-floor panels were replaced. The Hennesy restored car is
a perfect gem. Hard to imagine, the last time I saw Charlie Castaldo's
second car was at Adam's Diner (in Wingdale, down the street from Dover) in 1970, with a For Sale sign on the passenger side rear window
$5500.

Paul

P.S. Ask your Pop about the time he went with my father and me out to
New York National (1969). My father bent the pushrods in our Cuda
during the first round. Your father straightened them out ( I think with
a hammer). My Pop went back out in the second round a won. The good old days when 4-cars ran at a time.:)

Chuck Comella 09-16-2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimi (Post 140901)
the car in question here was one of castaldos darts period! the cars was in mine and my fathers keep for a few years you get to know a car when it is around that long.. this car had the entire floor for the trans tunnel cut out with a removeable piece,the body was pounded,raced hard and put away wet! it does not mean the floor was not replaced to perfection, tim hennesey restored this car and it was and still is one of the nicest restorations around. all this guy that owns the car now needs to do is connect the dots and get ahold of hennesey and ask the big question did he replace the entire floor pan with a stock one from another car or did he rebody it. when this car was restored it was the mid 80's there was dodge darts laying everywhere for under 1000.00 in near perfect shape, it would have been easy to obtain parts to do the job correctly with original sheetmetal.

Lou offered to sell me the car sometime in the mid 80s for around 3500. Tim who lived about 20 miles from me came and looked at mine to get ideas on restoration. If anybody could replace the floor without u be able to see it Tim could do it . Say hello to Lou, George , and the rest of the guys for me Chuck