CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   1969 Camaro SS/EA Build (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=78442)

Bpozzi 01-28-2021 05:17 PM

1969 Camaro SS/EA Build

2 Attachment(s)
We have decided to build a new Camaro for SS/EA. Currently we have a small tire SS/FA 69, but want to build a much more powerful engine courtesy of Robbie Draughon Powertrain so of course we have to build a car for it. We picked up a bare shell in Kentucky back in November and progress has been slow and steady . I’m building this car with the help of my dad, my brother Mike and our good friend Bert Powell. This is the first big tire car I have built, and I’m not a machinist or fabricator by trade, so please keep that in mind. My goal for this car is to build and do every aspect myself (except the engine.) I plan on doing all body work and painting the car myself as a challenge. I have been watching a tremendous amount of videos on body work/ paint/ chassis fab and have been reaching out to some great racers for advice and guidance. Attached are the two cars that we have built and currently campaigning and this will most likely be painted to match . Also is a picture of the car when we brought it home in November.

Bpozzi 01-28-2021 05:24 PM

Re: 1969 Camaro SS/EA Build

4 Attachment(s)
First thing was to get the frame rails put in. We used a frame rail kit that was pre bent and welded together for a first gen Camaro, we just had to trim to fit. We added a cover piece where the crossbar connects to the rocker to add a “finished look”. Like I said I’m not a welder, but really enjoy it and pretty proud of some of the welds so far.

Bpozzi 01-28-2021 05:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Once the frame rails were in we could move it over to the lift and do some more work on the body. The outer cowl boxes were all rusted and basically non existent so I had to replace those . The floor also was patched together from years and years of rust fixes so we decided to just replace the floor (which was a lot easier than I thought it would be)

Bpozzi 01-28-2021 05:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
We got some of the roll cage in but quickly realized the tubing we ordered, the bends weren’t going to work so it caused a few week pause on the cage. I took that time to start on the body work on the front end panels. When I built my current SS car , it was originally my dads car from the 70’s and I decided to replace the front sheet metal with new, so I had original fenders and doors that were pretty rough laying around. Fitment on the new panels is terrible, so I took the down time on the car to massage the old sheet metal. I researched and learned a lot about different primers and blocking techniques. I body worked them, got them pretty smooth, primed them with high build stuff , blocked that back down and sprayed again with 5 coats of high build to hopefully block back down to be laser straight when all hung .

Bpozzi 01-28-2021 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We will be running a bigger oil pan so I had to modify the cross member . We aren’t going to run a pan that has the steering going through it, so I added bracing between as a simple precaution, I realize it probably doesn’t need to be there.

Bpozzi 01-28-2021 05:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pics of the cage pretty much done. I haven’t welded the door bars or dash bar in just yet so I can work around inside. I’m just a bit smaller than Mr. Larry Hill, so climbing over bars isn’t easy. We will add a bar between the frame rails at the bend also.

Nmbr1GMfan 01-28-2021 10:17 PM

Looks awesome Brent!

Larry Hill 01-29-2021 09:04 AM

I feel your pain working around the bars. I think you will find the cleaner the metal is the better it will weld, no scale, paint, or corrosion. If multiple passes of weld are needed removing the glass like deposits on the previous weld is must to avoid inclusions in the weld. Good luck

1matcoman 01-29-2021 11:09 AM

Very nice detail. Will be watching for your progress.

Bpozzi 01-31-2021 04:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We were able to finish up the passenger side tin work today. We made cardboard templates that will make the drivers side go much quicker and smoother.