CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Weather Station Recommendation (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=69038)

drgrcr1156 02-16-2018 01:27 PM

Weather Station Recommendation

Looking to purchase a trailer based weather station. Comparing Altronics with Computech. Which do you find to be best value and user friendly?

Bob

Tom Goldman 02-17-2018 10:57 AM

Re: Weather Station Recommendation

I'd look at Altalab as well .
VERY durable unit ,very good software and very good ,FRINDLY customer support.
I've used one for 15 years ,it's only been back for normal maintenance and updates.
I know far more racers using Altalab than any of the others.

Dewdlebug 02-17-2018 11:39 AM

I'm on my 2nd Altronics (PWC) in 10 yrs. I like the idea of having a stand-alone database / prediction ability of the Altronics. But honestly that's it. I agree with Tom that the Altilab is a more durable unit. If I had it to do over again I'd go with the Altilab. However both do a good job of reading weather conditions. I don't have any knowledge around the Computech unit.

My 1st PWC had issues with the pager wattage output. When I sent it in for repair the 2nd time, I was told that it could not be repaired because it was an analog unit and they had since switched to digital units. It was mid-season and I wasn't about making a lot of changes so I purchased the new digital unit again from Altronics. The PWC allows you to set up and page from 10 different databases. My unit now only pages on 7. No worries yet. I'm guessing it's a software update issue.

DO NOT leave the Altronics unit up during a rain storm. Oh sure, it'll still work, but it'll take a 1/2 day before the data settles down. I see folks leaving Altilab units up everywhere so my guess is that because of the downward facing fans and the shielding plate it provides enough protection to keep excessive water from reaching the sensors. So, for me, when the car goes in the box, the weather station goes in the box as well.

Regan Wilson 02-17-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewdlebug (Post 556415)
I'm on my 2nd Altronics (PWC) in 10 yrs. I like the idea of having a stand-alone database / prediction ability of the Altronics. But honestly that's it. I agree with Tom that the Altilab is a more durable unit. If I had it to do over again I'd go with the Altilab. However both do a good job of reading weather conditions. I don't have any knowledge around the Computech unit.

My 1st PWC had issues with the pager wattage output. When I sent it in for repair the 2nd time, I was told that it could not be repaired because it was an analog unit and they had since switched to digital units. It was mid-season and I wasn't about making a lot of changes so I purchased the new digital unit again from Altronics. The PWC allows you to set up and page from 10 different databases. My unit now only pages on 7. No worries yet. I'm guessing it's a software update issue.

DO NOT leave the Altronics unit up during a rain storm. Oh sure, it'll still work, but it'll take a 1/2 day before the data settles down. I see folks leaving Altilab units up everywhere so my guess is that because of the downward facing fans and the shielding plate it provides enough protection to keep excessive water from reaching the sensors. So, for me, when the car goes in the box, the weather station goes in the box as well.

Can I pit with you when I come back? Altronics told me my junk could't be upgraded.

Dewdlebug 02-18-2018 11:44 PM

Why sure you can.
I'll be happy to dial it for you too. lol

Dennis424C 03-07-2018 02:14 PM

I run the altronics and I would 2nd on everything about the weather issue and update issue. Seems like most of the people that I know running an AltaLab don't have the "it's too old too fix" problem. I can't complain about my altronics it does ok but it takes more patience to get everything to communicate.