CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Would You Quit? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72233)

Mark Yacavone 02-13-2019 10:25 PM

Would You Quit?

Let's say NHRA announces one more season of S/SS racing, and then they're going the way of IHRA, with just bracket racing and the Pro Show.
What would you do?

I'll outline a few choices and then tell us how you would proceed in the future, and briefly, tell us why.

This is not meant to be a poll or a ballot. Let's just include S/SS drivers who have raced in the last two years for Wallys.

* I would race my car at independent S/SS races near me , or possibly help to start one in my area

* I would immediately put my car(s) up for sale

* I would put my car back on the street and take it to cruise nights, etc.

* I would use my car for big money bracket races

* I would race it at the local Summit series and hope to get to go to Pomona and win a Wally that way.

* I would keep my car as a museum piece, or donate it as such.

What else?

Please..Let's keep this narrowly focused.
Thanks

james schaechter 02-13-2019 10:48 PM

Re: Would You Quit?

Local associations work. More grass roots. Bracket racing is fun, but the added performance goals are important to me.

House of Darts 02-13-2019 11:15 PM

NMCA has 6 events this year, I could see them move to 12 within a few years. Best deal for the sportsman racer.Call Michael Beard back with his S/SS shootouts. There are enough regional S/SS associations to create divisional organisations and everyone meets at Indy when the weather is better for a S/SS/Sportsman blowout. Someone wave the wand and make it so. If you are waiting for NHRA to do something new or beneficial for the sportsman racer, I hope are holding your breath and puckering up.

Ed Fernandez 02-13-2019 11:49 PM

Markie, Connecting Highway and the Condiut are options.

HR9121 02-13-2019 11:54 PM

I would probably do two of the choices, first I would definitely race the association races. I enjoy them but rarely have time to attend because of limited time which I mainly devote to racing the division and national event races now. Second I could definitely see myself racing alot more of Michael Beard's races. Good car counts, well run and very good payouts!

Mark Yacavone 02-14-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez (Post 582405)
Markie, Connecting Highway and the Condiut are options.

Thanks, Ed ..One I hadn't thought of.

MikeMoller 02-14-2019 12:17 AM

I would race local s/ss races and big money brackets. But I think I would seriously consider selling out and try dirt track roundy-roundy racing. Guys I know have a lot of fun with that, lot more track time. I fully expect NHRA to change s/ss into a couple of brackets if they keep it at all, maybe 0-11.00 and 11-slower no electronics, safety rules only, body rules as is.

Dave Muller 02-14-2019 12:56 AM

This is a tough one to answer. I presume the fact that my car is a stocker would no longer mean it's worth more than a comparable bracket car. I suspect I'd keep it, run the association races and Summit series with it and sell my bracket car. Use the money I get to do a project car for the street. Mostly a cruise night car.

On the other hand if it was worth much extra as a stocker I'd likely sell it and keep my bracket car, and have that much more to put into the street project.

jmcarter 02-14-2019 08:41 AM

Quitting not an option, tried that unsuccessfully 3 different times. Unfortunately “local” association races are 250-300 miles away so the Super Stock motor stays in for month that I can hit those plus an NMCA event, otherwise in goes the bracket motor which costs less than one freshen of the good motor. My days of having 2-3 running race cars are long past...my CFO would definitely object.

Might sneak in the BMW E30 325 to a few track days at Roebling Road, Road Atlanta, Kershaw, etc. For those who’ve never done those the seat time is unbeatable and it is literally a blast.

nhramnl 02-14-2019 08:56 AM

I would focus on local S/SS Association races and Divisionals (if they kept those). I haven't really had fun at a National Event in years, and the Association races (particularly) are as close as I am able to get to feeling like I used to feel when NHRA racing was in its youth. Just a bunch of local guys who are all friends having fun together.