CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chevelle Steering Linkgage hits oil pan (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=79183)

SSGN 05-02-2021 02:25 PM

Chevelle Steering Linkgage hits oil pan

I have a 68 Chevelle BBC with a Jegs 6 quart pan. The pan is similar to a Hamburgers/B&B etc. The steering linkage touches the pan when turning. I seemed to remember a post and there was a different idler arm some used but I cant seem to find it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

prostockpete1 05-02-2021 04:28 PM

Re: Chevelle Steering Linkgage hits oil pan

how much clearance do you need ? maybe shim the motor mounts up a bit

SSGN 05-02-2021 07:30 PM

I installed new made in USA stock mounts but I am thinking maybe energy suspension mounts might help. Does anyone know how much higher the engine would sit with a eurothane mount?

Eman 05-03-2021 12:46 AM

GM trucks with a 5.7L motor used a metal shim between the engine block and the mount. This might work to get clearance if the bolt pattern is the same for a BBC. I've also use Speedway circle track motor mounts as a shim. Moroso made short and long solid mounts for some vehicles. I have the sam problem on my Camaro and can't use a pan with the deeper frt. section.

chris ok 05-03-2021 09:56 AM

I have energy suspension mounts.
They are just a little taller than stock rubber.
I still had to notch my pan for cross member and inner tie rods.
I have milodon 31187.
About 2 1/4” center bolt hole to mounting pad for block.
This is a factory big block car.

Barry Polley 05-03-2021 11:12 AM

Rare Parts makes a longer idler and pitman arm, moves link forward approximately .250.
RP20526 pitman
RP20227 idler

These fit my 69 Camaro, might be diff for the chevelle.
Will change geometry also.

Adger Smith 05-03-2021 01:47 PM

CP207 Champ is NHRA approved and has the indentions in the pan for Chevelle linkage clearance
7 3/4" deep sump made from stock GM pan core.

I have one at my shop that I'm installing on a 540 that is going in a Chevelle is you want a real life picture.

SSGN 05-04-2021 06:26 AM

Barry
Thanks for that tip,I went on there site and they don't make anything like that for the Chevelle,appreciate the input.

Adger
That was my first choice for a pan when Dad started this project however he put a Gen-6 block in and that pan wont fit and I couldn't find any stock appearing pans for this engine. Went with the Jegs (Made in USA) and was pleased with the pan but the fit needs some tweaking.
I ordered the Energy suspension mounts and a new stock replacement idler arm to see if I can find any wiggle room. Thanks for the inputs,appreciate it.

chris ok 05-04-2021 02:06 PM

Problem I found w my 1970 Chevelle was the oil pan laying in the front tip of cross member and lightly on center link. The inner tie rods also hit.
I’m not sure if you have these issues or if this is a class car or a street/strip car.
The energy suspensions come w a plate like their transmission mounts. So it effectively raises it an 1/8” approximately.
Hopefully you get your dads car right.

Adger Smith 05-04-2021 11:50 PM

Kevin,
I'm sorry I went brain dead.
I knew that and we had discussed all that.
I'm slipping.. lol!