CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   $$$$$$$$ (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=15154)

X-TECH MAN 01-11-2009 02:20 PM

$$$$$$$$

While the thread about "Crate Engines" is very intertainning (has been for me....lol) why dont some of you expend the same kind of energy in trying to figure out ways to increase the pay outs, and/or better conditions (round money, win and runner up, sheduling, pitting, tear downs, classes, stick vs auto,etc.). Maybe you could talk Alex into putting on another U.S. CLASS NATIONALS ??? Or several of them across the country. THAT was without a doubt the best race I ever went to. Maybe some who were there will remember it. Maybe the timing was wrong when it came about but it DID make NHRA and IHRA sit up and pay attention at the time. East vs West. North vs South. NO @&%* Pro cars to oil down the track. All the banter back and forth wont change the way racers feel about one class or another. Some like blueberry and some like strawberry. NHRA has thier way and IHRA has thier way....face it. Take your pick. I personally like ALL of it. The sportsman classes are just a filler for the Pro's and a convienant way to squeeze money from everyone in both associations and they couldnt care less about you. All of the record keeping, specs. tear downs, etc. are a drain on manpower and cost them money. If these bracket races can put on a race and pay what they pay out then so could the racing associations and/or circuit type race for sportsman racers. Yeah the presteage of winning the Nationals wont be there but I personally would rather win some good money instead a kick in the ***. It takes a lot of money to run these cars every year and wouldnt it be nice to at least break even once in awhile? Comments are welcome......lol.

Alan Roehrich 01-11-2009 02:30 PM

Re: $$$$$$$$

Terry,
That thread, and dozens like it, are exactly why there are no big money races, and no respect from the sanctioning bodies. But then, being a couple decades older than me, with the attending experience, you knew that, didn't you. :cool:

X-TECH MAN 01-11-2009 03:16 PM

I doubt that threads like these really have anything to do with pay outs. They dont respect the sportsman racers anyway even 20-30 years ago. Its because everyone keeps going to thier races and paying out the butt for memberships, entry fee's, and paying for the salaries of the over paid people in charge in the "IVORY" tower.

Alan Roehrich 01-11-2009 03:36 PM

Terry,
The point was, as obviously proven out in that thread, and others like it, is that class racers will not band together and stick to it, to promote their own best interests. That thread, by itself, of course, ignores the issues of payouts, tear downs, pits, entry fees, contingency awards, and most other issues.

X-TECH MAN 01-11-2009 04:05 PM

I agree with you 100%.....Most (not all) have thier own agendas. Its been that way even before the use of home computers and this racers site. The U.S. CLASS NATIONALS that Alex put on will sadly most likely be a one time happening. With the economy the way it is there will be less and less money going back to the racers. Only the rich with large egos will survive.

SS Engine Guy 01-11-2009 04:14 PM

US Class Nationals: Best race I ever attended also. Was greeted and thanked for coming as I entered the gate and again thanked for attending when leaving. Hot as hell and sandy pits made me think that there would be marginal traction. Wrong! Redman kept the starting line hooking all through qualifying and elims. If a car turned a tire, racing was shut down and the starting line prepped. Rans were within .002 on 60 thru qualifying, class, quick 32 and elims on 6 customers cars. Air was terrible as temps were over 100 degrees thru the whole weekend. On Thursday the head of tech came to trailers and did a very thorough tech inspection for those who arrived early. Down time was practically non existant as cars were going down the track from opening to curfew. Spectators were there in good numbers Fri.Sat.Sun. blankets and picnic lunches spread out all over the hillside on the far side of the track. Payouts were good and logical (as in parts that S/SS racers actually use). Most contingency sponsors had at least one rep there. The several I spoke with were more than pleased at the success of the event. Racers I spoke with over the weekend were pleased and surprised by the attendance. The lanes and pairing was accomplished in a logical and timely fashion because people that had actually raced were handling those duties. I was surprised at the lack of attendance of the traveling pros considering the payout, but maybe there was another race somewhere? I was surprised that some tech officials that were asked to participate were told by their bosses to decline. I was surprised that all time runs and elims started according to schedule due to the number of cars entered and being a first time for the US Class Nationals. Apparantly people that have actally raced in competition know how to run a race and conduct business. I'm sure that everything behind the scenes wasn't perfect and I'm sure that everyone was not 100% satisfied but the majority seemed to be having a great time and seemed to be in a racing frame of mind.

X-TECH MAN 01-11-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS Engine Guy (Post 99518)
US Class Nationals: Best race I ever attended also. On Thursday the head of tech came to trailers and did a very thorough tech inspection for those who arrived early..

UH.....that was me.....I thought I was going to die from the heat but we wanted to make sure everyone had the chance to get in every time run as possable instead of waiting in a long tech line.

Stick Racing 01-11-2009 05:32 PM

I'm not understanding why everyone says '...NHRA should do this or IHRA should do that...'.
Why hasn't someone thought '...Gee, why can't we do that..'. Why does a US Class Nationals or Class Nationals or some form of, have to be an NHRA event? Get a promoter and some sponsors and make it happen. Maybe some of the Srac members like Woodro and a couple good tech guys like yourself, Terry, (not that I'm volunteering you guys.lol) could tech and supervise teardown.

Class runoffs, NHRA rules. Heck, the Hemi cars are a show in themselves. A/stick was a hit at Indy.
Throw in a Top Stock or Top SS and you would have quite a show. It's not like there aren't enough class cars out there to make a great field.

Am I the only one to see what Ron Christianson did with a bunch of bracket cars?

Andy Stone 1102 B/S 1112 SS/C

Dick Butler 01-11-2009 07:30 PM

Alan,
You are right about the banding together. Most racers have a selfish agenda and they might not even be able to admit it.They own a car they know.
Agenda: They have a car worth money and are afraid someone will change the overall rules just enough to put them at a disadvantage or make them change their class of competition or make a change which changes the importance of their beliefs about Drag Racing in the sportsman group.(arent the rules moving all the time anyway)
1)Manufacturers money or postings : as number of classes goes up (or stays HIGH like now) Too much $ to post for all class winners on a product if cars only buy a product one time and make it last for several seasons.Most want it to go to a racer not NHRA so with large posting some is lost to the NHRA pool.
2) As long as the racer gets to have a massive number of class choices and combinations this will not change.BYE runs still get contingency. If not the racers would move to a contested class on their own.
3) With no draw for a crowd of spectators ,stands are empty for bracket racing of CLASS cars at points meets and Nationals. No exposure of product names for advertising. Less important use of money than Dragster ad or magazines.
4) Sportsman racing has gone from racing a smaller number of classes with Names for the winners (Because of publicity and spectator knowledge) to dilution of the racing which decrease some class win importance or publicity since it is rarely done or minimally seen.
5) Due to the results of trying to get more entrants and pay less advertising NHRA has convinced themselves Sportsman racing is a Participant sport. Make a class for everything it is only Dial in anyway.The more classes accepted in the gate the more entry money. Result not many in a class so limit class racing at the event. ( the viscious circle)
That pools the cash and limits the people who deserve to split the pot of money into one elimination.
5)Fix it? it can be done but uncomfortable and unpopular to think of the things needed.
I doubt over 10-20 guys on this site would accept the changes even if they thought it would work.Agendas!

X-TECH MAN 01-11-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stick Racing (Post 99534)
I'm not understanding why everyone says '...NHRA should do this or IHRA should do that...'.
Why hasn't someone thought '...Gee, why can't we do that..'. Why does a US Class Nationals or Class Nationals or some form of, have to be an NHRA event? Get a promoter and some sponsors and make it happen. Maybe some of the Srac members like Woodro and a couple good tech guys like yourself, Terry, (not that I'm volunteering you guys.lol) could tech and supervise teardown.

Class runoffs, NHRA rules. Heck, the Hemi cars are a show in themselves. A/stick was a hit at Indy.
Throw in a Top Stock or Top SS and you would have quite a show. It's not like there aren't enough class cars out there to make a great field.._____________________

Andy Stone 1102 B/S 1112 SS/C

Andy....it was done several years ago by Alex Denysenko and NOT by NHRA or IHRA. It was a killer race. Maybe it could happen again....who knows?