CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   LS1 Horsepower Factors (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=83910)

442OLDS 01-09-2023 11:28 AM

LS1 Horsepower Factors

I recently bought a copy of Nitro Joe's Stats on Ebay.(Nice job by the way).
I really wasn't aware of some of the horsepower factors in some of the classes I don't compete in.
It appears that there is an LS1 in some bodies that is at 381.
Then there is a manual transmission combo that is something like 40 horsepower less than the 381 of the same body.
Then,if it is in a Corvette,you see 350.But in a Firebird, it's 381
Are these engines all the same or are there differences?

Bobby Lundholm 01-09-2023 12:01 PM

Re: LS1 Horsepower Factors

Quote:

Originally Posted by 442OLDS (Post 673815)
I really wasn't aware of some of the horsepower factors in some of the classes I don't compete in.
Then there is a manual transmission combo that is something like 40 horsepower less than the 381 of the same body.

They are the same. Everyone and their brother ran a Firebird or Camaro with that combo. Corvettes didn't get as much attention until recently and they've done a good job at protecting that combo.

Tar Heel 01-09-2023 12:12 PM

How does the GTO fit into that conversation?

Bobby Lundholm 01-09-2023 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tar Heel (Post 673819)
How does the GTO fit into that conversation?

Same setup as the Corvette. Factored to 340 hp.

Jack Matyas 01-09-2023 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 442OLDS (Post 673815)

Seems to me your real agenda is to bring attention to the cars you do compete against like the GTO with an LS1 style engine .There are now plenty of them out there and they do their best to protect their combos - something more guys ( and gals ) should have done years ago .As for the Firebirds with the 381 rating - well, they didn't do such a good job .We can also talk about the guy from Crawdad Country who is now our World Champ that can win no matter how far under he is but we'll save that for another time ! !

442OLDS 01-09-2023 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Matyas (Post 673845)
Seems to me your real agenda is to bring attention to the cars you do compete against like the GTO with an LS1 style engine .There are now plenty of them out there and they do their best to protect their combos - something more guys ( and gals ) should have done years ago .As for the Firebirds with the 381 rating - well, they didn't do such a good job .We can also talk about the guy from Crawdad Country who is now our World Champ that can win no matter how far under he is but we'll save that for another time ! !

I don't have an agenda.I just find it fascinating the massive differences in horsepower factors with cars using the exact same engine.40 horsepower difference based on body type?
40 horsepower difference based on transmission type?
It doesn't matter if they were at 340 or 380,I still wouldn't ever outrun one.

Glenn Briglio 01-09-2023 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 442OLDS (Post 673849)
I don't have an agenda.I just find it fascinating the massive differences in horsepower factors with cars using the exact same engine.40 horsepower difference based on body type?
40 horsepower difference based on transmission type?
It doesn't matter if they were at 340 or 380,I still wouldn't ever outrun one.

Can’t beat them……join their

Billy Nees 01-10-2023 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio (Post 673857)
Can’t beat them……join their

Glenn, come on! Ya know that some of us are just born Rebels!

Larry Hill 01-10-2023 09:05 AM

The Champ lives in Donaldsonville, La. not the place you mentioned. Louisiana does not have counties.

my69396 01-10-2023 01:50 PM

The horsepower differences between sticks and auto's are reflected in the index's. But it was originally to make up for the way auto's and sticks were back in the day. Now with the evolution of auto transmissions I think the sticks are the ones that need the half a tenth. But then I run a stick. You know there is something up with the horsepower when a engine combo that is 75 ci smaller rated at less horsepower in the same class can be 3 tenths and 4 mph faster. Just saying.