CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Front tire pressure/Reaction time (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=77554)

djm670 10-11-2020 10:45 PM

Re: Front tire pressure/Reaction time

We used to have three sets of front tires and wheels, three different size and would run the size that gave the right reaction times at a particular track. Never played the fron tire pressure game.

Willyracer 10-13-2020 04:04 PM

I am thankful for all the info and
insight on things to try.
There nothing like the racing community
helping out a competitor
Where else would you find this

Thank You

Hacksaw 10-13-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Way (Post 625463)
Hacksaw. Think the rule is the opposite. +-3/4 with max variation 1" side to side.

You Sir, are 100% correct.

Ed Wright 10-13-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Way (Post 625463)
Hacksaw. Think the rule is the opposite. +-3/4 with max variation 1" side to side.

Tech guy told me one inch side-to-side. I use 3/4 inch. Been checked a couple of times.
And pressure effected my foot brake cars more than the trans brake car. Testing would be required to determine how much, IMHO.

GTX JOHN 10-13-2020 07:09 PM

The tire height makes a significant difference in reaction time.

5 or 10 Lbs pressure in the tire = very little that I can find.

Maybe if I took the front runners from 40 to 10 it might make a observable
difference. Someone can tell me = I am not going to try it!

My Blood Sugar level makes a lot more difference = Of Course - I am old!

Jim Caughlin 10-13-2020 07:26 PM

I'm not sure of the exact height of the stage beam but as an experiment, I put a 3" tall block in front and behind my 26" tall tire, the measurement at 40 PSI and 10 PSI was exactly the same. Based on that, I think the change in reaction time is a mental thing and not real.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019

LittleBubba1150 10-15-2020 11:49 AM

Many different opinions from many great drivers but in my personal opinion I don’t feel front tire pressure is very important. I normally don’t check front tires after I leave the house unless one or both look like they’re leaking for some reason. And pretty similar with rear tires. I’ll usually check them every morning as they can vary quite a bit with outside temperature. And sometimes I’ll give them a check to make sure they’re about the same throughout the day. But whatever works for you or makes you feel most confident and comfortable is what’s most important!

GTX JOHN 10-15-2020 01:27 PM

We check all four each morning and the rear
most times in the staging lane unless we are
rushed.

jamie2370 10-15-2020 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=GTX JOHN

My Blood Sugar level makes a lot more difference = Of Course - I am old![/QUOTE]

From a fellow diabetic..... yes it does. I keep good check on mine because it makes a HUGE difference in react and driving the stripe.

I check my tires in the morning and thats about it lol. 38frt & 19rear is my bracket tune
Rpms will change react the most, mine is 200 for .010 up to a certain point

Lenny5160 10-15-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBubba1150 (Post 625841)
Many different opinions from many great drivers but in my personal opinion I don’t feel front tire pressure is very important. I normally don’t check front tires after I leave the house unless one or both look like they’re leaking for some reason. And pretty similar with rear tires. I’ll usually check them every morning as they can vary quite a bit with outside temperature. And sometimes I’ll give them a check to make sure they’re about the same throughout the day. But whatever works for you or makes you feel most confident and comfortable is what’s most important!

I feel the same way. I typically check mine before the first and second passes of the day, and that's about it.

With the dragster I pay a little more attention and check before each pass, but I buy the cheapest gauge that is in the range needed.