CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Calvert split mono leaf springs? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=75683)

Rose Racing 03-10-2020 07:19 PM

Calvert split mono leaf springs?

Anybody use the Calvert Split mono leaf springs? How much better are they than stock? What are the advantages? thanks

B Parker 03-10-2020 08:53 PM

Re: Calvert split mono leaf springs?

Looks like you need to get to a race and check out most of the leaf spring stockers. Who doesn't use them. BP

Gmirza 03-10-2020 09:21 PM

If you plan on using Caltracs they are what you want to use. You can get them in different ride heights. They are designed to work with the Caltrac bars, other springs may create a bind in the suspension. I put this setup on my car last season and the Workmanship was excellent. There is a bunch of adjustability in them, so it may take a while to get the most out of them. Probably the best bolt on leaf spring suspension ever made.

bykr 03-10-2020 09:32 PM

Lighter than stock and adjustable ride height with different rear sections

FireSale 03-10-2020 11:17 PM

I have Calvert springs and CalTracs on my 68 Mustang. It was originally street legal and towed a teardrop trailer to the track each weekend. Worked on the track and tolerable on the road. A leaf spring car without Calverts is an odd bird these days. Match them with Caltracs or they will wrap up on you. Get your pinion angle right, too. I messed mine up and tried running shims to correct it. The reduced contact between the centering stud and spring caused it to start to separate and move the right rear wheel. A sharp eyed tech caught it in the waterbox before I cut a tire.

Larry Hill 03-11-2020 08:18 AM

Its been a long time but the Calvert springs reduced un-sprung weight by about 40#. The rear segment if fairly easy to adjust to change ride height.

moparpilot 03-14-2020 01:50 PM

can`t beat them

larrylomascolo 03-15-2020 08:21 AM

X100

Mark Yacavone 03-15-2020 12:24 PM

They are a fine product, no doubt. Also, a great company to deal with.
In my mind though, which runs contrary to a lot of folks here, is do I really need them, and should I put together something of my own, and should I spend the money elsewhere on my combination, which is a _________________?

Rose Racing 03-15-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 610135)
They are a fine product, no doubt. Also, a great company to deal with.
In my mind though, which runs contrary to a lot of folks here, is do I really need them, and should I put together something of my own, and should I spend the money elsewhere on my combination, which is a _________________?

Exactly why I made this thread they are not cheap and I wonder if the money would be more wisely spent elsewhere....