CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Trailer tires (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=77506)

SST159 10-03-2020 07:48 AM

Trailer tires

Time to replace my trailer tires. Any suggestions on tire brand without breaking the bank. Also knowing the life is only 6-7 years. My current tires are Hercules Power STR ST225/75 R15 Load range E. Starting to crack between the treads now which they are 7 years old. Trailer weight loaded is approx. 10K lbs. Thanks in advance for opinions.

jmcarter 10-03-2020 08:38 AM

Re: Trailer tires

Had a lot of trouble with Goodyear Marathons but tried their newer Endurance tires on my trailer. 10K miles and they still look great; no bulging sidewalls and with a higher load range than the Marathon I think it's a good economical tire. If you want better then you probably need to switch over to the 16" combinations. BTW, unless they are babied and keep out of sunlight most of their lives 5 year replacement is recommended.

340Cuda 10-03-2020 10:53 AM

Like Jim and many others I have had troubles with Goodyear trailer tires in the past.

However I have not heard anything bad about the new Goodyear trailer tires and they have been out for a while now.

I don't think I have ever had a trailer tire blow out that was less than three years old, except for the earlier Goodyears.

Painter 10-03-2020 07:22 PM

There are now load range “f” tires available. They are a very heavy and look like trailer tires. Call Greg Luben at L&S Trailers in Hawthorne Fl.

BILL TAYLOR 10-03-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painter (Post 624993)
There are now load range “f” tires available. They are a very heavy and look like trailer tires. Call Greg Luben at L&S Trailers in Hawthorne Fl.

My tire guy told me that the Carlisles were real good again. He's never steered me wrong so I tried them 2 years ago and he was right. No issues yet in about 5K miles, they still look new!

Joe Martens 10-04-2020 04:29 PM

Don’t waste your money, go to 16” wheels. Way more options for tires.

Glenn Briglio 10-04-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Martens (Post 625029)
Don’t waste your money, go to 16” wheels. Way more options for tires.

And what if you can't fit them on trailer?????

Joe Martens 10-05-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio (Post 625086)
And what if you can't fit them on trailer?????

Well then I guess you would have to stay with a 15" tire, but I would imagine there is a 16" that would fit.

Painter 10-05-2020 01:47 PM

Before I found load range “E” and long before the load range “F” I shopped for 16 inch trailer tires. The 16 that was the same height as a 225/75 15 has a significantly lower load rating pound wise than a 15 inch load range “E”. Load range “E” almost cured my trailer tire problems and I’m certain these new “F” tires will do the job. They are beasts, they look like low boy trailer tires.

Glenn Briglio 10-06-2020 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painter (Post 625149)
Before I found load range “E” and long before the load range “F” I shopped for 16 inch trailer tires. The 16 that was the same height as a 225/75 15 has a significantly lower load rating pound wise than a 15 inch load range “E”. Load range “E” almost cured my trailer tire problems and I’m certain these new “F” tires will do the job. They are beasts, they look like low boy trailer tires.

Ok great.....What brand and tire size did you get?