CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Engine diapers on S/SS? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=74354)

rboyle 10-02-2019 11:54 AM

Engine diapers on S/SS?

I never tried to fit one. Anyone have any experience trying to fit one and if so which one actually fits a Stock type chassis?

Pat6868 10-02-2019 03:00 PM

Re: Engine diapers on S/SS?

Compared to other classes, what percentage of stockers have oiled down tracks this year? Who is bouncing this one around?

Mike Pearson 10-02-2019 04:31 PM

I have been racing my super stock car for over 40 years and have only oiled the track once in that length of time. I don't think it is necessary in my humble opinion

Billy Nees 10-02-2019 04:50 PM

Yeah......... I want to see just how they determine just what will be legal when they ( the NHRA BOD) start requiring S/SS Racers to put a diaper/tray under a car with a (relatively) stock frame and engine location.

jmcarter 10-02-2019 05:59 PM

Suggest racers make a list of concise impacts such a change would make and feed that to your SRAC representatives. Not a tirade, but a detailed impact statement to what changes would be required to your particular car(s) to mount a blanket or belly pan. For some (FE fords come to mind) it would almost require fender exit headers, wow, wouldn’t that look great and then we’d crank up the dB police. In my case with a tie rod spanning the engine bay it would almost require a dry sump system be designed fabricated and tested. In other words I’d no longer compete at NHRA events. While that may be dandy with NHRA since we’re basically a nuisance to them anyway I really don’t think they want to kill the cash cow sportsman racers.

Eman 10-02-2019 06:05 PM

I only bracket race and it's a 3rd gen F body stock frame. Diaper is tight but it fits and I've got it on there. Mine is a DRE and it's a nice piece. Most full body stock type drag cars today are antiques, and in many cases so are the drivers. I don't want to crash and get hurt or crash and have to fix my car or my opponents. Oiling the track is a concern but down the list from the others.

Lenny5160 10-03-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman (Post 598969)
I only bracket race and it's a 3rd gen F body stock frame. Diaper is tight but it fits and I've got it on there. Mine is a DRE and it's a nice piece. Most full body stock type drag cars today are antiques, and in many cases so are the drivers. I don't want to crash and get hurt or crash and have to fix my car or my opponents. Oiling the track is a concern but down the list from the others.

x2. My Nova, chassis-wise, is basically a Stocker and I have a diaper on it after oiling the track and feeling lucky to get it stopped safely. It is a DRE with Kevlar panels where the headers get close or touch, and it was made to accommodate the stock motor mounts. It fits like a glove and I'm glad to have it.

Especially considering the nature of S/SS to maximize performance and often run on the edge of the parts' potential, I am surprised those classes have escaped the diaper rule as long as they have.

340Cuda 10-04-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman (Post 598969)
Most full body stock type drag cars today are antiques, and in many cases so are the drivers.

I guess I resemble that remark. I would really like a diaper on my car but I am not sure how I would get it on and have it be effective.

If it were not for these issues I think diapers would have been mandatory in most classes by now.

Bill Lamb

Pat6868 10-04-2019 11:27 AM

Again, what percentage of stock eliminator cars oiled down tracks this year? The best way to get the diaper rule forced on stock racers is to keep talking about it.

Bill Grubbs 10-04-2019 11:42 AM

Depends?