CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Camaro steering box (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=77839)

SS3860 11-13-2020 08:43 PM

Camaro steering box

Having issues with steering boxes on a 67 Camaro, been through a couple reman boxes it seams after a couple seasons they are worn and have lots of play. Guessing wheel stands are hard on them. Any recommendations on a quality unit?

Bill Grubbs 11-13-2020 09:12 PM

Re: Camaro steering box

Have you tried to adjust the “play” out? It is similar to the backlash in a rear end.

Mike Pearson 11-13-2020 09:33 PM

I bought a new Vega. Box from either Jegs or Summit. No issues with that except the 3 bolts in the top came loose. Gives a bit more header clearance on that side. Check your bump steer. If that is out of whack it will put stress on the steering system. I put a bump steer kit on mine and it is with in 1/4 inch through the entire travel.

Dirk Olson 11-14-2020 11:29 AM

I contacted Bob Blackwell about changing my box out to a Vega style box and was told not legal in Stock per Wesley.

Dirk
A/S 5036

t.tosto 11-15-2020 02:07 PM

You can rebuild these boxes easily, Midwest Directional Services offers a rebuild kit #RK550, 816 796 6400. It consists of brg. races, bsg. and seal, no special tools needed. Make sure worm and sector gears not worn.

SSDiv6 11-15-2020 08:47 PM

One of the best in the country is Redhead Steering in Seattle, Washington.
They rebuild and improve old steering boxes and make them better than new.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/

Paul Merolla 11-16-2020 02:46 PM

I recently found a brand new (NOT remanufactured) box for my '66 Nova, made by a company called Lares Mfg in Minnesota. They're sold through Rock Auto...I just now looked up 1967 Camaro and they make them for those, also. I opted for the fast-ratio 16:1 manual box. Haven't installed it yet, so I don't have any feedback on how well it works, but it's got to be better than the 54-year old original. Oh, and they're very reasonably priced too! Around $250.

Adger Smith 11-20-2020 03:16 AM

,Larry & FED gave me these a while back.. hope it helps
Adger

you have several choices.

* S-10 manual box [with the S-10 box in most cases it is a direct replacement. Input spline & pitman spline same as OE. It will have a four bolt top]

* manual GM box from 70's cars [this is also a direct fit in some cases. GM produced several spline counts so it takes some comparing to find the exact match. This is a three bolt top. This box is about one pound lighter than the S-10 box and overall slightly smaller.

* Vega box [this box is smaller and lighter than both the above, however, it requires a custom/special pitman arm. Ed Quay, Flaming River, and maybe others furnish the special arm.

Of the three, I would look for the 70's box.

Adger, I "think" all GM manual boxes will be about the same in ratio. [maybe an exception but it would be a rare option] The greater turn to turn ratio of manual boxes is an advantage, steering is not touchy]

The 60's and 70's three-bolt top gear is a good choice but it takes careful searching to find the correct spline count. They are out there, I have found and installed several.

An S-10 box is available reman from most parts stores. To my knowledge, there is only one part number. It's advantage, a direct bolt in replacement, remove power gear, install S-10 manual gear.

The quicker ratios come with PS boxes.

VIP Member

7806396-------20:1 ratio---- 67-75 Camaro

7819935-------16:1 ratio---- Monza and Vega

FED 387

Signman 11-20-2020 09:56 AM

If you fell the wheel stand is the issue install a damper. It is a safety item and should be allowed based on that alone.

SSDiv6 11-20-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signman (Post 628359)
If you fell the wheel stand is the issue install a damper. It is a safety item and should be allowed based on that alone.

Many already run a damper and Ed Quay even sells a kit to install the steering damper.