CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Winch Recommendations (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=79570)

Mark Ruset 06-17-2021 12:32 PM

Winch Recommendations

Looking to purchase an electric winch to mount in an enclosed trailer to pull a 3200 lb. door car. Been looking at 12 and 120 volt units and various horsepower ratings. Not looking to break the bank and the unit will probably get minimal use.
Thanks

KRatcliff 06-17-2021 01:48 PM

Re: Winch Recommendations

Oh, an electric one. Can't help you with that. Sorry.

340Cuda 06-18-2021 09:56 AM

I would think 12 volt would be best, especially if your trailer already has a battery. That way no need to plug in or start the generator.

For light use I would consider the Harbor Freight units.

Mark Ruset 06-18-2021 02:40 PM

Thanks I was thinking along those lines. Just not sure if the 3500 rated one will work for my application and HP rating for the motors, I've see all the way from 1.3 to 1.8 on the horsepower of the motor, also some units have steel cable and some use a fabric type rope. Just want to make a one time purchase.

340Cuda 06-19-2021 11:10 AM

After twenty years the steel cable on my winch failed. However for many years before that it had strands sticking out that could have been painful it not handled with gloves.

I replaced it with a fabric rope and I like it.

Run to Rund 06-21-2021 08:46 AM

since you are just pulling the car, you don't need a 3500 lb winch. 2500 is enough, plenty. If the cable begins to fray, replace it. When winching, have someone follow the car with wheel chocks, just in case it gets loose.

NSSGTO 06-24-2021 07:51 PM

I have a Harbor Freight 3500 with synthetic line.
Pulls a 3700lb car easily. Use a snatch block on the floor D rings. Winch mounted on the side out of the way,

FED 387 06-24-2021 08:36 PM

depends on if you are pulling a dead weight or a rolling weight also the angle of the incline---if you use a snatch block and double your line it will pull it very easily because you are doubling the power however your speed decreases. but it should work--- look into it before you make a decision--FED 387

Mark Ruset 06-25-2021 10:12 AM

I ended up buying a 5000 lb. Badlands Winch from Harbor Freight. I spoke with a tech guy about the capacity of the winch and was told that the longer the tow cable is extended from the winch the larger the capacity of the winch needs to be. I purchased it on Fathers Day for $170.00 Looks well made and had great on line reviews

Rusty Davenport 06-25-2021 02:14 PM

Superwinch.........run the other way........company bought out and out of business......fell for a sale on ebay at 1/2 price ......the switch went out when I needed it most......no replacement parts anywhere what a pain......ended up making one, what next ????