CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Phoenix Nat'l Racers Please Respond (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=23991)

Brett Brown 02-21-2010 11:31 PM

Phoenix Nat'l Racers Please Respond

I would like to hear from people that were racing in Phoenix this weekend. It looked like the whole thing was a complete disaster.
The track looked horrible both before and after the finish line.
There were a number of problems in Pomona and a whole lot more in Phoenix.
Is there something not being addressed with the tracks, is it track prep or both?
I don't remember there being this many issues years ago.
I wouldn't think 70 degree track temps should cause this many problems.
Also, I don't understand NHRA's thinking of pulling the plug on Pro Stock, but deciding to run T/D (bad idea #1) and then Super Street (bad idea #2). It's beginning to look like all NHRA wants is a track that works for Top Fuel & Funny Car.

larry dowty 02-21-2010 11:44 PM

Re: Phoenix Nat'l Racers Please Respond

brett i was told that pro stock racers pulled the plug on nhra? to unsafe.

BKSG1198 02-22-2010 07:58 AM

I have good friends who live out in Phoenix and they have a T/D and T/S cars and both have told me that they don't even go to Firebird to bracket race cause the track is sooo bad. They said when the NHRA comes in for the nationals they do make the track somewhat better with their prep but, it's still not great. I can see the problems with Pomona since they really only race there 2 times a year anymore. The track just doesn't get enough use to put rubber down for traction.

Jeff Lee 02-22-2010 10:33 AM

Speedworld in NW Phoenix area is almost always good. Firebird is almost always bad. Firebird caters to the street crowd in my opinion.

Mark Yacavone 02-22-2010 12:22 PM

I agree with Jeff. Ever since I've lived out here, I've found that there's something wrong with Firebird, traction wise.
I've had 14 second street cars that would never turn a tire at Speedworld and would skate around at FB. I was at a FFW about five years ago in the late Fall on a cool day. When the Bracket Two cars started bouncing off the walls , they had to plug the plug to re-do the track. They worked on it most of the night, but it was no better on Sunday morning.

In all fairness , it was fine for the Bracket Finals . Weather was still warm and there were about 600 cars running down the track all the time.
The Nat's are usually okay, but I think , when that track is cold, it's unsafe to run on ,for some reason.

Bryan Worner 02-22-2010 01:00 PM

I raced at the Phoenix National Event last year and will say that it was the worst track I raced on all year!!! The top end is very bumpy and all cracked up! The shut down area is even worse. I thought my rear end was broke after my first run there!!! It turned out to be the roughness of the track! I won't go back there until that track is resurfaced!!

davidhuff 02-22-2010 04:10 PM

I was at the track at 7am and the pits and track was a s**t hole.The pro stock cars had loaded up and left.

joe176 02-22-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Worner (Post 170744)
I raced at the Phoenix National Event last year and will say that it was the worst track I raced on all year!!! The top end is very bumpy and all cracked up! The shut down area is even worse. I thought my rear end was broke after my first run there!!! It turned out to be the roughness of the track! I won't go back there until that track is resurfaced!!

And they go and dump VA from the schedule...the fan count in the stands did not look good on TV....why keep this track on a Nat event schedule and drop VA is beyond me.

herbjr 02-22-2010 05:39 PM

Not one person responded on how they treated the sportsman racer. If that was IHRA it would be ON.

Herb Jr

Pat Cook 02-22-2010 06:35 PM

Sounds like Charlie needs to spend some money on the place