CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Factory Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   A little perspective on how fast the new cars are (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=60803)

goinbroke2 01-08-2016 01:11 AM

A little perspective on how fast the new cars are

So I was reading through the ford performance stuff from SEMA and saw this;
"The Cobra Jet engine is comprised largely of production Mustang GT components topped by a front inlet Whipple supercharger and is capable of 8-second quarter mile times as delivered."

Huh, I thought, that's 8 seconds in a stocker.....8 seconds! So to put it in perspective I was looking around and found the following in reference to the March Meets on the left coast;
" By 1964, when Kalitta won, the field was limited to the top 32 fuel dragsters with an additional rule that a car had to run at least 8.30 (9.00 for top gas dragsters)."

So if you took a 2016 Cobra Jet back to 1964 (the good old days as they say) you could qualify for top gas dragster and almost make the cut for top fuel!
And this with a blown stocker!

THESE are the real "good old days"!
Crazy to even think but, wonder who will be the first stocker in the 7's??

Dick Butler 01-09-2016 11:21 AM

Re: A little perspective on how fast the new cars are

I hope the safety requirements for the stockers in these classes is up to the speeds and Ets. Full Cages? Nets, Seat mounts, Harnesses, Jackets and pants...

jackarnew 11-19-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Butler (Post 492476)
I hope the safety requirements for the stockers in these classes is up to the speeds and Ets. Full Cages? Nets, Seat mounts, Harnesses, Jackets and pants...

Todays stocker also cost as much or way more than a A/F dragster back then.

Ed Wright 12-16-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackarnew (Post 520305)
Todays stocker also cost as much or way more than a A/F dragster back then.

As does a new pickup truck.

jmcarter 12-16-2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 522505)
As does a new pickup truck.

Amen brother...was researching adding a truck to pull the trailer when I don't want to take the motorhome for just a day of testing or such and GULP, $30K for something halfway capable of pulling an open trailer and that's the final cost, MSRP's 40K plus.

Should have never sold the dually 5 years ago...back to the thread though, when I licensed with Frank Hawley his Firebirds were running 9:20's with high 140's and that's a full chassis car with 14/32's of course. Felt plenty quick...and these stockers are going much faster on 9 inch tires...no thanks for my old carcass. Don't know how much the really fast guys have in these stockers but has to be over 200K.

Ed Wright 12-30-2016 07:15 PM

Still have my old '99 454" Suburban for that. LOL

Jeff Teuton 12-31-2016 03:20 PM

If you take the old faithful Moroso Slide rule 1100 Hp @ 3500 lbs is 8.50. Pretty close. Just means you need about 1300 to go fast. And on 9" tires. Who woulda thought?

T Pogue 01-03-2017 01:40 AM

But what would it run on 1964 tires and track conditions?

jackarnew 01-29-2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T Pogue (Post 523578)
But what would it run on 1964 tires and track conditions?

Your right, today I can't walk up to stage a car without my shoe coming off. Track prep is something we never had back then. Latest thing then was Bleach and smoke burnout.

Coleydog 02-03-2017 07:13 PM

In reality, they ARE top dragsters with a blower, take that one piece off and see how fast they are.