CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The MSD Grid System (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=66576)

Charlie Yannetti 06-12-2017 10:52 AM

The MSD Grid System

Just throwing this out there, and not actually pointing any fingers, YET.. we have all heard about the infamous Cheater Grid, and how it will give you almost perfect runs on a consistent basis.. I believe this system should be banned in NHRA Super Class racing, as it has already been banned in many bracket venues..

I brought this up to a NHRA Tech Inspector this weekend at E-Town, and I was told that NHRA is, in fact, monitoring the performance of many racers, and that they do have a tester to pick up on any illegal set-ups...

My question is two fold.. does this testing take place AFTER a racer has won a race, or a Championship, of does it take place during the, now non-existent, tech inspection at every race??... OR, does it take place at all, and is it determined on who you just may be??.. politics in drag racing??.. say it isn't so..

THOUGHTS???

Keith 944 06-12-2017 11:04 AM

Re: The MSD Grid System

I have been checked twice, last year it was after 1st rnd at E-town. This year after 1st time run at Atlanta. They are checking for the use of the arc module. Like any other electronic device, some will take advantage of whatever they can to win.

Lenny5160 06-12-2017 03:19 PM

Is the Grid with ARC module any different than running the 7531 digital box with slew control?

There are always illegal products out there; why does the Grid in particular get such a bad reputation for this?

voltdr 06-12-2017 05:04 PM

The MSD 7531 is ILLEGAL for NHRA racing.
Dan

Lenny5160 06-12-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voltdr (Post 537180)
The MSD 7531 is ILLEGAL for NHRA racing.
Dan

Yes, and it should be an item checked for in tech or random inspections, just like the Grid's ARC module should be.

I don't recall anyone calling for all Digital 7 boxes to be banned because it could be a 7531, yet I hear a lot of calls for the entire Grid system to be banned.

Charlie Yannetti 06-13-2017 07:21 AM

I don't claim to be a computer whiz kid, and don't think that a lap top should be tuning your race car either.. buy from what I'm hearing, the "Cheater Grid" can be programmed to provide an unfair advantage almost EVERY run.. just hit the tree, and you're on a 90 pass..

This was brought to my attention a while back, but it's now come to the fore front at several National Events...

Don't get me wrong, there are great drivers out there, with great cars.. but give those great drivers an additional advantage, and the rest of us might just as well stay home..

voltdr 06-13-2017 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Lenny5160;537193]Yes, and it should be an item checked for in tech or random inspections, just like the Grid's ARC module should be.

I agree. I had a D4 tech inspector looking at my delay box one time and asked why? He said he was making sure it was on the approved list. I told him he needs to be checking the digital boxes instead. He looked at me me like I was speaking a foreign language.

Dan Foley

Chuck Westcott 07-12-2017 08:12 PM

Charlie ! The problem Lies on NHRA- with all of the Tech cost cutbacks -- In my opinion
They have no clue what they are looking for, And the Cheaters Will always Cheat !

Maverick 07-12-2017 11:30 PM

The grid was the only approved ignition in pro stock a few years back. It would be nice if you were more specific. Yes, I have a grid, but don't have the 7761 ARC control. Charlie, you must not have the Grid
I am more upset with the stage loc, that NHRA is using at all the divisional, and national meet, that keep the racer that shallow staging, from going red. Most people never have heard of it.

Maverick 07-12-2017 11:38 PM

It is a electronic throttle control, delay box, get on the brakes class. The 7761 is not legal. Hopefully NHRA, with step up and clear the air,. Still don't like the stage loc system they use. Steve Williams Div3