CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Transmission problems (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=81267)

BTR69 01-07-2022 07:28 PM

Transmission problems

Good evening. My 98 Chevy dually, 454 automatic, has an intermittent problem of not shifting out of low gear. I parked it until I can spare the $$$ on a rebuild. I did a search here recently and found info that suggests a bad ignition switch could be a possible cause. Can anyone give me more info about this, so I know what to look for, before I spend the money and time on changing it out?

In an earlier thread about this a few months ago, I got some input that I passed on to the tranny shop. They didn't find anything they could address without removing and rebuilding. Until I come up with the $2700 disposable income for that, I'll continue using my spare tow rig.

Thanks and have a great weekend...
William Kilduff.

voltdr 01-08-2022 12:41 AM

Re: Transmission problems

Call your local Chevrolet parts department and ask about
a replacement transmission for your truck. They come with a 36000 mile warranty
and if there’s a problem, Chevrolet will R&R it, even if you installed it. I did one a few years back, cheaper than a trans shop and much better warranty too.
Dan

Rory McNeil 01-08-2022 11:46 AM

Quite a few years ago, my buddys 3500 454 Dually (I believe that it was also a 98 model) did the same thing,he took it to a transmission shop, and they couldn`t find anything wrong with the transmission itself. Not sure how they figured it out, but indeed, the problem was a bad ignition switch. He replaced the switch, and drove the truck another 10 years or so, until it was written off in an accident, but never did have any transmission problems with it.

Mark Ruset 01-09-2022 01:51 PM

First thing I would do is to hook up a scanner and check all your input and output readings. I had something similar on a 1999 Yukon and we determined it to be a shift solenoid.

vette5148 02-01-2022 08:07 PM

My 96 Dually with a 454 4l80e did the same thing but it also shifted harder then normal and it was the TPS going bad. It gave false readings to the ecm and raised the line pressure.

BTR69 02-02-2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rory McNeil (Post 655214)
Quite a few years ago, my buddys 3500 454 Dually (I believe that it was also a 98 model) did the same thing,he took it to a transmission shop, and they couldn`t find anything wrong with the transmission itself. Not sure how they figured it out, but indeed, the problem was a bad ignition switch. He replaced the switch, and drove the truck another 10 years or so, until it was written off in an accident, but never did have any transmission problems with it.

Thanks. I replaced that and it's still not shifting properly. Also new speed sensor. Next try will be shift solenoids.

BTR69 02-02-2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ruset (Post 655286)
First thing I would do is to hook up a scanner and check all your input and output readings. I had something similar on a 1999 Yukon and we determined it to be a shift solenoid.

Thanks. Been hoping to get a scanner on it. Have a guy that hopefully will bring a scanner to me in the next few days. Been tough to get my time and his time to work together. I've been thinking about changing the shift solenoids to see if it works, but not ready to throw more money away without checking codes. Another issue with that is, the battery was out for roughly 6 months so i'm afraid the codes may not be saved anymore.

BTR69 02-02-2022 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vette5148 (Post 656653)
My 96 Dually with a 454 4l80e did the same thing but it also shifted harder then normal and it was the TPS going bad. It gave false readings to the ecm and raised the line pressure.

Thanks. I'll hopefully get a scanner on it soon. Not ready to throw more money on it without doing that, but if my local salvage tard has a TPS cheap enough, I might take a shot at that.

GTX JOHN 02-11-2022 04:30 AM

Sounds like shift solenoid if so equipped