CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   4 speed set up in a 2013 Challenger (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=82341)

GTS340 06-13-2022 08:39 PM

4 speed set up in a 2013 Challenger

I'm building a 2013 Dodge Challenger with a 5.7 non drag pak. Been doing it for sometime now. Since I've been waiting for parts and waiting some more. I decided to run a Manual transmission. I'm looking for some help on the clutch set up. Of course pictures would be great. I was wondering if a manual linkage set up is being fabricated or using factory hydraulic. New world for myself to adventure in..

Paul Haszlauer

GTS340 06-13-2022 11:03 PM

Re: 4 speed set up in a 2013 Challenger

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pictures of the project.

GTS340 06-14-2022 12:07 AM

6 Attachment(s)
couple more

GTS340 06-14-2022 10:22 AM

6 Attachment(s)
project photos

GTS340 06-14-2022 11:19 AM

Though this is my crazy dream. First thing first. I couldn't have even gotten this far without the help of my very dear close friend Paul Wong. Paul has made a boat load of phone calls and spent half the cost. Also our good friend Mike Blackstone has been building the engine. Numerous delays that Mike has had to deal with. Don Little did the heads for this project after waiting for ever for parts. Don has always been good to me.
Delays for parts has been frustrating. Two years ago I needed window modules. Was told I would be taken care of. Yeah right!. Pistons took the longest in the beginning. I never went through the process of getting a piston approved. Thanks to Paul and Mike. Now we are waiting for Holley to complete their order. Been waiting for the main part of the Holley ignition for near a 1/2 year. Valve covers too. Waiting for a camshaft. A lot of waiting for sure. I hope someone can help me on the clutch linkage set up.

Paul Haszlauer

GTS340 06-14-2022 02:36 PM

6 Attachment(s)
The more I look Hydraulic is the best anyway. Very old school here. Learning as I go. I guess the next question is there a go to Hydraulic clutch set up that beats the stock set up.

Paul

Mark Yacavone 06-14-2022 10:36 PM

Paul, I wouldn't use the hyd. clutch..Too many unknowns .How long since you raced a stick car?
You're going to be using "old school' bell, so why not an earlier fork too?
The pedal should be usable. Just copy the older stuff to get your pivot points and ratios figured out.
Besides header clearance, it seems that you'll be better off with mechanical.

I'm dealing with a factory hydraulic system , only because I have to. I have no starting point for mechanical. :-0

GTS340 06-15-2022 10:30 AM

Thanks Mark, As far as me personally driving a stick. Not since I was very young. I have built all Paul Wong's 4 speed cars though if that throws me a bone. Paul will also be the primary driver but who knows. Actually Paul has all the stick stuff except a flywheel. Maybe once I get the engine in. The old pivot bar deal will become a better vision for me to fabricate.
Then I spent all day yesterday looking for an original clutch pedal for the car. Holy cow parts are just not available anymore. Anyone have a clutch pedal set for a 2009-2014 Challenger?

Paul

340Cuda 06-15-2022 11:54 AM

If you have not already, I would check with Cleveland Power and Performance for salvage clutch petal parts.

https://www.clevelandpap.com/

GTS340 06-15-2022 12:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
all the little things

Dyno 06-15-2022 12:16 PM

PM sent.

Tom Goldman 06-15-2022 01:04 PM

PM me your email and I'll send you a few pictures of one I did one to give you an idea of what's involved .
I dont have time to resize them for the forum.
If you have good fabrication skills you should be able to do it . takes time to figure the geometry but it's worth it .

GTS340 06-15-2022 01:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. Appreciate it all!

Paul

Larry Hill 06-16-2022 07:40 AM

Will you outline the process of getting an aftermarket piston approved. Was the aftermarket piston identical to the OEM piston as to weight, ring grove size and placement, compression height, and top of the piston?
Thanks

You get extra kool points for having a third petal and fresh air to the engine. Your team has a wealth of knowledge. It looks great hope to see you out with it this year.

GTS340 06-16-2022 12:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hill (Post 663183)
Will you outline the process of getting an aftermarket piston approved. Was the aftermarket piston identical to the OEM piston as to weight, ring grove size and placement, compression height, and top of the piston?
Thanks

You get extra kool points for having a third petal and fresh air to the engine. Your team has a wealth of knowledge. It looks great hope to see you out with it this year.

Hi Larry,
I might not be the expert to ask since it took almost a year to do so. We bought a stock piston and rod. Try and remove them and you'll know why Chrysler sells rod and piston as one number. We sent that piston to Diamond. They made their purpose piston and sent it with the original and
waited. They called, Paul called, Mike called Pat Cv and he called. I think they were waiting for Chrysler to send the specs to check and re check. They did have Diamond change something. Got resubmitted and it made the books. That is Mike's writing on the piston and he loves to gab on the phone. Give him a call he'll give you all the ups and downs he has had.

Another delay came when the original matching heads were sent to Don Little. He called and notified me the head number wasn't in the books. I researched it and will add the picture to limit my bad spelling. I called Pat Cv and basically he told me he would summit it and it might take 6-8 months at that time to get corrected. I didn't want to hold up Don so I ordered the correct heads.

Paul Haszlauer

GTS340 06-16-2022 12:46 PM

Been so long I have to refresh my memory. First NHRA questioned why Diamond was asking for another piston to be approved and it kind of got brushed off. All the phone calls finally fell on ears that this was not a drag Pak. Diamond sent another piston and the oil ring became an issue.
The original is a 1.5mm but somehow NHRA wanted 2.0mm. They won or someone won. Mike told me there are more choice in a 2.0mm anyway. Anyone got a camshaft ready to go? Just kidding but that is hopefully the last delay. Did find the pedals finally and ordered them.

Paul

GTS340 06-16-2022 01:56 PM

6 Attachment(s)
More adventures

Larry Hill 06-16-2022 02:02 PM

Thanks Paul for the information. If you would send me Mike’s number or have him give me a call. 270 99four 4004

GTS340 06-16-2022 03:03 PM

Dan thanks for the window idea. I have operated them with a jumper wire at time. I figured plan B would be getting some after market switches. Would be nice to have the factory touch but chop liver here. I'm sure you know with your car Dan. I removed a wheel barrel full of wiring. I had to weed through it and get the stuff I wanted to work (lights, automatic trunk release).

Paul

Dyno 06-16-2022 05:19 PM

PM me your email address, I can send some pictures.

Todd Gross 06-19-2022 05:56 PM

Hi Paul,
I have a 5 speed Drag Pak that I built and finally got out eariler this year. I planned on building the Z Bar linkage that Tom Goldman chimed in about, but time became a factor for getting the car out this year. I plan to visit the mechanical linkage in the off season.
I used a conventional clutch fork and throw out bearing with a Coleman external Hydraulic Slave cylinder in conjunction with the OEM Master Cylinder. Earls makes an adapter that snaps into the factory Master and comes out as a 4 AN male flare. I don't have enough runs on it to make any comments on consistency. If interested, I can take some pics to send your way.
Best of luck on you project! Looks great.

Dave Reuland 11-24-2022 12:27 PM

Did you get your car out to the track yet?

GTS340 08-19-2023 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this project. My wife is battling cancer and has taken a lot of wind out of the sails. My funds only go so far being retired. Did get a burst of energy though when Mike Blackstone put the engine on the dyno this week. Amazing learning these new camshaft profiles.This 345 (5.7) came with a 117 C.L. camshaft. Those numbers didn't compute to quick in my old school brain. Ran like a dream for all ten pulls. Now I have to get back to this dream of mine.

GTS340 08-19-2023 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did get some help from you guys on the clutch linkage.

GTS340 08-21-2023 02:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Honestly it took so long I forgot half of the little things we ran into. I bought things I probably didn't need. Like MSD coils that don't bolt on correctly. I even bought Holley/MSD valve covers. You would think they can see something ain't right. Oh well live and learn. Try to return an electical part these days. Wiring harnesses boxed wrong. Finally Mike, Paul Wong and myself managed to put humpty dumpty back together. Not as easy to do everything yourself but if and when it works. Golden! Looking at the date I was pulling the engine out on the one photo shows I'm very slow I guess.

Paul

GTS340 08-21-2023 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is a matching number car/engine. We also slowly learned the difference from a 2008 and early 5.7 engine from the 2009 and up block changes. My Dad would always say do it right or don't do it at all. The price to get an old crank into shape ussually cost at least half of a new crank. So we purchased the approved crank and the picture tells the story.

GTS340 08-23-2023 02:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One of the toughest part of the engine build, besides parts. Was fitting the camshaft. The 5.7 Street Hemi is the only Gen III that has no valve relief. Flat top (very slight dome).
Also ran into a cylinder head number pause. I have the original Challenger heads numbered 53021616DD. The excepted number is 53021616DE. I researched it of course. Basically the DE is the Drag Pak Head used. The DE head came on Aspens and durangos. The difference is one head has some boss drilled for a EGR bracket. Honestly I didn't think it would take me so long. I called Pat on it and was told it might take 6-8 months to get the number added. I bought new cores. Doubt anyone is planning this build but you never know.

Paul

GTS340 08-23-2023 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If possible can someone help telling me what this intake number is. amazingly somehow a record was set with this combo when there wasn't a piston approved. What intake is this. I have the original one on mine #68189105.

Paul