CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Not for Nuthin' But Close! (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=77389)

Mark Yacavone 10-28-2020 04:58 PM

Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Knox (Post 626829)
It looks like with HP tuners the Transmission Control Module program has to be bought as well. I am sure you will want to adjust the shift points.

Maybe , but these EFI combos have a definite torque curve , that seems to fall off rapidly.
With stock cams, I wouldn't up the shift points, without trying it manually first.

Tom Meyer 10-28-2020 10:10 PM

We race a 2.2 eco in IMCA dirt track and have done a lot of wheel dyno work. We have picked up a lot of Hp on the curve with a change in the stock ecu tune. We have to run a stock exhaust manifold, but a header and pipe should make more power. Face book Garret at TBG tuned for your tune up he does a lot of eco stuff. PM me and I can tell you some stuff on these motors cheap. They can turn 8000 on the stock bottom end with the rev limit turn up. The intake is the cork like many other engines. If you pull the intake off clean it out good with carb cleaner along with the intake port and valves will help with air flow. A fresh air system is also worth some power if done rite. The stock injectors are fine. Don't forget to change the fuel filter and copper core spark plugs with the gap run a little tighter will also help. Go to a junk yard and get stock cams from a Malibu or Classic same lift but different grind for more toque. I got some for 20 dollars for the pair. Get rid of the balance shafts and it will spin up quicker. There is a simple kit for this that can be done rite in the car. We have made around 160 at the wheel with this combo and with a header it would be more. We run a stick and used a Saturn Vue final drive, it has more ratio 3.94 to a 4.41. Have not done a lot of auto stuff but I sure a master as yourself can find out more. I would like to do a car like this but can't get done what I have already. Tom

GTOMayhem 10-29-2020 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 624117)
This IS NOT a "Dime Rocket"!

Now for the payoff. I took the car to Island Dragway (the only track open on Bracket Finals weekend), got the car hot and made 3 passes doing nothing but clearing the ECU in the lanes before each run. It went 15.83, 15.80, 15.79 at 86 and change. For one last run, I tried cooling the car off before the run and it rewarded me with a 15.705 at 87! Not too bad on a 15.60 index! Not too shabby for a totally "stock", junk car.

This type of thread is why I joined Class Racer. The knowledge base of this forum is unmatched.

Billy, why and how are you clearing the ECU?

Thanks

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Billy Nees 10-29-2020 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 626883)
Billy, why and how are you clearing the ECU?
Thanks
Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Rick, I should have written "clearing the ECU's memory". Whether or not it works, I've been told by a handful of guys who bracket race these things to "run it hot and don't let the ECU learn" and it will be consistent. So far, I don't have any reason to dis-believe this advice. I just put a battery quick dis-connect in the ground cable.

GTOMayhem 10-29-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 626888)
Rick, I should have written "clearing the ECU's memory". Whether or not it works, I've been told by a handful of guys who bracket race these things to "run it hot and don't let the ECU learn" and it will be consistent. So far, I don't have any reason to dis-believe this advice. I just put a battery quick dis-connect in the ground cable.

And by 'these things', do you mean Ecotech in particular or cars using stock ECUs in general? Would this be something to do to a 2004 LS1 GTO if I was bracket racing it?

Thanks

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Billy Nees 10-30-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOMayhem (Post 626919)
And by 'these things', do you mean Ecotech in particular or cars using stock ECUs in general? Would this be something to do to a 2004 LS1 GTO if I was bracket racing it?

Thanks

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem

Cars using stock ECUs in general. It won't cost anything to try it.

Billy Nees 11-04-2020 03:35 PM

Just a quick update, I'm hoping to have a package from HP Tuners by Friday. I'm planning on going to Island on Sunday. I also finally checked out the spark plugs. They are the original plugs with just under 120K miles on them. I have replacements coming.

Glenn Briglio 11-04-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 627286)
Just a quick update, I'm hoping to have a package from HP Tuners by Friday. I'm planning on going to Island on Sunday. I also finally checked out the spark plugs. They are the original plugs with just under 120K miles on them. I have replacements coming.

Breaking the budget with them new spark plugs.........lol

Frank Castros 11-04-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio (Post 627288)
Breaking the budget with them new spark plugs.........lol

Billy I hope you “splurged” for NGKs!

Tom Meyer 11-04-2020 08:35 PM

The timing chain wear out in these motors bad backing up the cams. Loosening the cam bolts and pulling the cams around and then retightening will help also. Get rid of the stock air box will pickup over three HP. Tom