CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Suspension help (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=17198)

Chevellewagon 04-21-2009 06:45 PM

Re: Suspension help

Quote:

Originally Posted by njk53 (Post 116461)
My brother and I have basically the same car as you (Ours is a 71 Chevelle wagon, natural K/SA). The leaning is the result of using a 90-10 shock on the front. Also it is a result of not having sway control as stated by Dragsinger. The leaning is normal. I am assuming that your car leans over when turning and when you get it straight and burp the throttle, the front end will come back to normal ride height. If it stays leaning, there is a problem somewhere in the front suspension mechanicals.

I do have 90-10's on the front and 70-30's rear. Yes once straightening out the car comes back to level. Thanks for the help.

Chevellewagon 04-21-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragsinger (Post 116371)
the leaning you describe is a basic characteristic for that suspension style. [basically, you have the car sitting on four coil springs with nothing to control "body roll"]

A rear "anti-roll bar" will cure the leaning and make the car overall more stable. It is very likely that a properly installed and properly adjusted anti-roll bar will allow removing the air bags.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, I think a bolt on kit is legal.

Thanks for the help Dragsinger. A rear sway bar might control the handling since the roll bar was added. Down track it wanders a little and sometimes moves left when braking in the shut down area. I am assuming that the roll bar installation lessens "normal" body flex (it's welded to the frame),

Chipper Chapman 04-21-2009 07:12 PM

If you're getting it realigned you had better find out what it was setup to beforehand, at least if you plan to take it to a normal alignment shop, because they'll want to set it to stock specs, and it will likely make your problem worse.

njk53 04-21-2009 08:06 PM

When you say wandering, are you sawing on the steering wheel or are you feeling the instability in your seat?

72Malibu 04-21-2009 08:12 PM

www.hrpartsnstuff.com bolt on antiroll bar ;)

Chevellewagon 04-21-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njk53 (Post 116651)
When you say wandering, are you sawing on the steering wheel or are you feeling the instability in your seat?

Slight steering wheel movement, more like a feeling of the car floating around. It also wants to move to the right when i lift at the top end. Prior to the roll bar being installed it was much more of an easier ride. It used to run nice and straight with a relaxed grip on the wheel.....now I keep a firm grip on it.

Chevellewagon 04-21-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72Malibu (Post 116653)
www.hrpartsnstuff.com bolt on antiroll bar ;)

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. :)

Chevellewagon 04-21-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman (Post 116636)
If you're getting it realigned you had better find out what it was setup to beforehand, at least if you plan to take it to a normal alignment shop, because they'll want to set it to stock specs, and it will likely make your problem worse.

I am going to have someone take a picture of it at the finish line and figure out how high the front end is and when getting it aligned have the front raised up to that height and set camber at zero,toe as close to zero and caster positive about 5 degrees. Does that sound anywhere near right?

Greg Barsamian 04-22-2009 08:00 AM

Phil, I've sold a number of the BMR Xtreme Sway bars to CMDR members.
Check out the pictures from last weekends race @ NED on Actionracingphotos.com

Rick Kagawa is "Dead-On" about Alf Weibe's supension system!

Call The "Golddigger" Jim Boudreau for an alignment!

Chevellewagon 04-22-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Barsamian (Post 116717)
Phil, I've sold a number of the BMR Xtreme Sway bars to CMDR members.
Check out the pictures from last weekends race @ NED on Actionracingphotos.com

Rick Kagawa is "Dead-On" about Alf Weibe's supension system!

Call The "Golddigger" Jim Boudreau for an alignment!

He ought to be able to align it as he bought it from W A Lee in '78. The picture of it on here is with his old paint job still on it in 2000.
Thanks for the info Greg.