HOME MAGAZINE FORUM RULES SPONSORS CONTACT
     
   
   
 
Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
HP HUNTER
Member
 
HP HUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 355
Default 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

A few years back I bought a 1971 Buick GS 455 stocker 315/330 HP. After taking delivery of the car I rebuilt the rear suspension, changed the fuel system, rejetted the carb, put on fresh tires and headed for the track. I was surprised when the car ran 11.35 on a 11.85 index (F/SA) on a 2130 foot track with a 27.80 baro in July 4500 DA, although the car was 135 pounds light for F/SA. I put the car away for a few years but couldn't help but think the car had potential if the engine was legal. This last week I got the car out of the garage and pulled the engine and put it on the dyno, then a tear down to determine what I was working with. I will post pictures of my engine build as I go, I will be looking for 30 extra HP out of the engine, if I can get that I will then look very hard at the drive line. I can't help but think if I can get a few hundred more RPM peak out of the engine I can then gear up to a 4.30 gear with more converter. Any advice or information on this build will be appreciated. Dyno test as the engine was pulled from the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3333.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	36030  

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 08-28-2016 at 10:06 PM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Glenn Briglio
Member
 
Glenn Briglio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massapequa Park,NY
Posts: 387
Default Re: 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

Got any more dyno pulls with a broader range of rpm? Ie lower and higher.
Glenn Briglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
HP HUNTER
Member
 
HP HUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 355
Default Re: 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
Got any more dyno pulls with a broader range of rpm? Ie lower and higher.
I do have some tests I started @ 3800 but If I remember right I ran the car from 4200 to 5800 on the track. I really didn't want to run it past 5800 until I went through the engine, after its freshened you can be sure it will be run much higher than 5800, in fact I need more RPM to make the driveline changes I want to make. I do have the top end off the engine now and everything appears to be legal. When I look at whole combination of car and driveline and engine I can't imagine not being able to make it faster. I will mention while testing I leaned the carb down, I had a 67 jet with a .062 rod and it picked up from the race setup and I had no jets or rods to go leaner, I test @ 6400 feet elevation. I will look and see if I printed any of the tests starting @ 3800 RPM, if I have them I will post them.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
stage1scott
Member
 
stage1scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 313
Default Re: 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

Subscribed-always nice to see a Buick build. Jason Line still has his world championship GS and at the 4 wides last year (I believe) in C/sa as a 70 he posted some sub 10.50s. Line Performance would be my choice for help with a Buick stocker for sure.
__________________
Scott McIntyre-SoCal-land of no race tracks!
1967 Fairlane Sedan
433 ci/464 hp/488 tq
stage1scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
Glenn Briglio
Member
 
Glenn Briglio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massapequa Park,NY
Posts: 387
Default Re: 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP HUNTER View Post
I do have some tests I started @ 3800 but If I remember right I ran the car from 4200 to 5800 on the track. I really didn't want to run it past 5800 until I went through the engine, after its freshened you can be sure it will be run much higher than 5800, in fact I need more RPM to make the driveline changes I want to make. I do have the top end off the engine now and everything appears to be legal. When I look at whole combination of car and driveline and engine I can't imagine not being able to make it faster. I will mention while testing I leaned the carb down, I had a 67 jet with a .062 rod and it picked up from the race setup and I had no jets or rods to go leaner, I test @ 6400 feet elevation. I will look and see if I printed any of the tests starting @ 3800 RPM, if I have them I will post them.
Gear the car where the engine wants not where you want it to run.
Glenn Briglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
Carguy49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife, Washington
Posts: 782
Default Re: 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

What rear end gear is in the car now? You might be surprised how little gear a Buick needs. I know of a 455 Pontiac stocker (same theory as a 455 Buick) that only runs a 4.10 gear and will run in the mid 10's.
__________________
Ron McDowell - Did Race
Still a BIG fan
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
Mark Yacavone
Sponsor
 
Mark Yacavone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mayer , a fur piece up the road...
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
What rear end gear is in the car now? You might be surprised how little gear a Buick needs. I know of a 455 Pontiac stocker (same theory as a 455 Buick) that only runs a 4.10 gear and will run in the mid 10's.
Ron, The 455 Buick has a much shorter stroke and a bigger piston.
Just sayin'
__________________
"I had a friend who was a clown. When he died, all his friends went to the funeral in one car."
-Steven Wright
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
HP HUNTER
Member
 
HP HUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 355
Default Re: 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

Keep in mind I NEVER get in near sea level conditions. Glenn you've seen the previous dyno data how would run the gear stack? Gear ratio is 4.10 12 bolt.

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 08-29-2016 at 06:07 PM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #9
HP HUNTER
Member
 
HP HUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 355
Default Re: 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Ron, The 455 Buick has a much shorter stroke and a bigger piston.
Just sayin'

I agree, in my line of thinking, first I need to get the car out of the hole, more gear, more converter, less internal trans weight, at this point I can deal with the first to second gear drop, but a 1.53 60 not going to get it done, theres lots more there. I believe a 4.10 gear could work in a 29.90 baro but I never see that. So with a 470 CU IN engine with head flow in the 220s @ 28" I think I'am going to concentrate on the heads and intake in that order after the short block is freshened with a modern ring pack.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
Dan Fahey
VIP Member
 
Dan Fahey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,587
Default Re: 1971 Buick 455 GS F/SA G/SA Build

Suggestion.
Check out Dick Millers website regarding your type suspension.

D
__________________
Daniel Fahey
Dan Fahey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Class Racer.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.Ad Management plugin by RedTyger