HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 AM   #101
jimi

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
MOPAR68
Don't forget to add a little Sambuca in the Espresso'.
I'll answer all questions in next posting. Yes Mark J, I'll add a little Pomona Speed Shop/Victors Auto Repair in the mix.
I also, heard that through the grapevine that the Centolanza contingent was putting together a 383 Cuda. Glad the "V" family is involved with
helping. Looks like you Jimi are following in your Pop's footsteps.
I still remember all the Mopar stuff he said. He is one Mopar "Brainiac"
Also, found picture of your Pop and Mom, and my father up at Lebanon
Valley, next to the Cuda Coupe. A super Cuda Lady Picture taken by
Jerry D.
Mark J, I think the upstate New York Cuda (possibly the Centolanza car)
as I said earlier was painted white and in A/MP was in a little town
(I'm guessing) was Livingstonville. That was 30 years ago. The guy spent about $250 on Brush Research honing brushes. I still remember.

Paul
the white cuda that ran a/mp upstate that you are thinking of belonged to alex chilcott it was not centolanzas car, although it was put together with parts from a wrecked hemi car, it was a 318 auto car, i owned this car in the early 1990's to 1998 , i sold it to someone (cannot remember his name)from washington state south of seattle, the guy fell from a scaffold and smashed his head and went into a coma, i have not heard or seen from him his wife or the car since, i have been trying to buy it back but cant find it.
jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #102
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Jimi,
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought his car was from the Centolanza's.
It was nearly 30 years ago. What was the name of that little town
Alex Chilcott lived in? I remember that his car repair service was located at his house. I think a 2-car garage, but the Hemi Cuda was in a separate garage up on the hill. Just imagine my amazement back then, when I was selling him some tooling accessories. We got on the subject of Cuda's, and he said to me "Come up to my other garage, I want to show you something". Whether it was an original, or not, and even if it wasn't the Centolanza's it was a sharp car.
As for the car itself, I remember that when you had the car, it made it into
a magazine (Mopar Muscle?). I think you put a 440 in it, and ran it on
the street. Still remember a picture in the magazine of the car, possibly at Lebanon Valley, with 11.20 (or close to it) shoe-polished on the window for the dial-in. I still have a memory.
Did you have trouble stopping your Cuda too. I never put on disc-brakes,
I left on the original drum-brakes. Not too bright
Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #103
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi View Post
the white cuda that ran a/mp upstate that you are thinking of belonged to alex chilcott it was not centolanzas car, although it was put together with parts from a wrecked hemi car, it was a 318 auto car, i owned this car in the early 1990's to 1998 , i sold it to someone (cannot remember his name)from washington state south of seattle, the guy fell from a scaffold and smashed his head and went into a coma, i have not heard or seen from him his wife or the car since, i have been trying to buy it back but cant find it.
Jimi,
Do you know what wrecked Barracuda was used as parts? I would guess that it would be the Harris Auto car or the old Bob Gaudreau Car - Parrillo & Cerrone?
Mark J
1968 Hemi S/S Registry
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #104
jimi

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68hemiss View Post
Jimi,
Do you know what wrecked Barracuda was used as parts? I would guess that it would be the Harris Auto car or the old Bob Gaudreau Car - Parrillo & Cerrone?
Mark J
1968 Hemi S/S Registry
the parts were supposed to be from the carpinett (i dont know if that is the correct spelling)car,the story i was told is the car was in the garage and a drunk lady came down the road and crashed through th e door wrecking the back of the barracuda. the car was parted out shortly after, alex built the car for a/mp because you had to use factory stock bodies just like ss/am today, the barracuda had all of the lightweight advantages for the class.

lou centolanza was at my shop today and his cuda is the one jimmy keyes owns today,
jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #105
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
MOPAR68
Don't forget to add a little Sambuca in the Espresso'.
I've got to give that combo a try!

M68
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #106
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi View Post
the parts were supposed to be from the carpinett (i dont know if that is the correct spelling)car,the story i was told is the car was in the garage and a drunk lady came down the road and crashed through th e door wrecking the back of the barracuda.
There's a photo of that crash in an article on Parillo & Cerrone in a circa 1980 Super Stock & Drag Illustrated issue. The lady came crashing through the side of the garage with her big Cadillac. Thank God no one was working on that side of the car or underneath it! I don't recall it being mentioned in the article that P & C's 'Cuda used parts that formerly belonged to the Carpinet Bros. It did mention Harris Auto Sales but I forget in what context.

I'll have to go look for that issue now to make sure.

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 10-01-2009 at 09:59 AM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #107
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Hey W J,
A little back info from my contact "Highway Star" a.k.a Deep Purple
out of Indiana.
Gene O'Neill's car may have been shipped to either Fisher-Lowe Dodge in West Hartford or Norwalk Dodge in Norwalk, CT.
The ground-mole investigator has some Hurst-Campbell Corp. shipping information that he his digging up. Bill of Lading stuff that he supposedly got from a Hurst-Campbell shipping clerk that went on to become a
supervisor for Anchor Freight (car shipping company).
As for Bill Flynn getting involved with locating a car for Gene. That does
sound correct, but doubtful whether (2) Hemi Darts were shipped to the same dealership. Even Sox & Martin couldn't get a second car right away.
Researching Chorches Motors out of Manchester, CT. They were involved with some Drag Racing sponsorships in 65', and may have had
a hand in something.

Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #108
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Hey W J,
A little back info from my contact "Highway Star" a.k.a Deep Purple
out of Indiana.
Gene O'Neill's car may have been shipped to either Fisher-Lowe Dodge in West Hartford or Norwalk Dodge in Norwalk, CT.
The ground-mole investigator has some Hurst-Campbell Corp. shipping information that he his digging up. Bill of Lading stuff that he supposedly got from a Hurst-Campbell shipping clerk that went on to become a
supervisor for Anchor Freight (car shipping company).
As for Bill Flynn getting involved with locating a car for Gene. That does
sound correct, but doubtful whether (2) Hemi Darts were shipped to the same dealership. Even Sox & Martin couldn't get a second car right away.
Researching Chorches Motors out of Manchester, CT. They were involved with some Drag Racing sponsorships in 65', and may have had
a hand in something.

Paul
Much thanks Paul....You R the man.....flintstonecharger may have something to add to this, as well.......WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #109
HEMIDARTDAVE

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

As far as two Darts being shipped to the same dealership, Bob Banning's dealership in Hyattsville, MD recieved one(stick) that Tom Sneden and Bob Banning Jr. drove , and a second(automatic) Dart that went to John DeRosa. The DeRosa Dart is in this weekends Mecum auction.
HEMIDARTDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #110
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Paul,
If you get that info (shipping information) from Hurst I would be interested in trading you for some of factory paperwork that I have collected (over 200 pages). There were a few dealerships that recived two cars (I have some info showing where the first 50 cars went - no VIN #'s though) Bob Banning got two as mentioned, Lennox dodge in Atlanta also got (2) (Bill Tanner's and Ray Dailey's), In the first 50 it shows 13 cars being sent to Grand Spaulding. It is funny because Norm says he got all the cars at one time but I KNOW this to be not true but almost everyone I have talked to who bought their Dart at Norm's said they were told that their car was the last one and they were not getting any more! Good sales pitch huh? There were an additional 30+ Darts built. Paul, I don't want to seem overanxious but I would really love to see the Pomona Speed Dart. The Manhatten Speed dart that was mentioned before may have been a Dart out of PA. Two guys bought it never ran it and sold it to someone in NY - the guy paid with a check and well, it bounced! They went back up to NY to Repo the car - the guy had raced it and had broke the engine by this time. The Manhatten Speed Dart doesn't look like it had been painted yet and the lettering was temporary - I haven't checked on it but it is a good possibility as that car seemed like it was around for a short period of time and then disapeared.
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote