HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series

Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Barnes and Jablonski win TNTSS; Stoneman takes ROC!

Jablonski takes commanding lead in the points chase!

Cayuga Dragway at Toronto Motorsports Park hosted the Joes Transmission TNT Super Series final Canadian event this past Labour Day weekend. With perfect weather and great track conditions for the Bieda's Powersports event, it was Ted Barnes on Saturday and Jon Jablonski on Sunday coming out victors. In the Performance Improvements Race of Champions, Jamie Stoneman came out of retirement and marched through the field to win the prestigious event.

Saturday September 1
After a season filled with bizarre challenges, Caistorville Ontario’s Ted Barnes returned to the winner's circle in his 1972 Datsun 510 catapulting him into sixth place in TNTSS points chase.

Ted's charge through the field saw him defeat Roy Lister by overcoming a starting line disadvantage (.033 to .020) in round one. Then he posted a near perfect .001 reaction time against Kirk Parry and advanced to face Paul Young. Ted's .017 light was no match for the former series champ's uncharacteristically late .074 and Ted drove through to a 10.920.

Going into the semi's, Ted faced last year's Rookie of the Year, Harry Phelps and again overcame a starting line disadvantage (.010 for Harry, .020 for Ted) and pushed Harry under to a 10.864 with his 10.912.

In the money round, Ted met up with Cheektowaga, New York's Gary Kerl. Off the line, Ted had the advantage with his .019 over Gary's .066 and he never looked back, taking the stripe and the win with a 10.923 to Gary's 10.901.

"I want to thank my dad (Bill aka 'The Clapper') for all his help," said Ted. "He broke his ankle early this spring and has missed a lot of races. He was here tonight on the starting line and it made the difference!"

Ted is not only a participant in the TNTSS but also the Series Director. "I cannot thank my wife Cathy enough for the incredible support she gives me to not only race, but to organize the series too. She has more patience than anyone I know. And my kids, Cassidy and Jackson, my mom and my good friend Peter Bollella for all his help."

Ted was quick to thank Performance Improvements Speed Shops, Scott Conrad Racing Engines, Top Quality Transmission, F&M Signs, Hoosier Tire Canada, Al’s Radiator, MSD Ignition and Altalab Instrument for their support of the Barnes family's racing efforts.

"I have to mention Russ and Arlene Parker; also Joe Boniferro and his boys for all their support this year. Wouldn't be here without them. And thanks to Joe's Transmission and Bieda's Powersports for supporting the TNT Super Series."

Specialty Awards - Sept 1
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Andrew Stirk (Brampton, Ontario) with a 10.904
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Joe Passero (Stevensville, Ontario) with a 10.914

Sunday September 2
Coming into the weekend in a tie for first place, Jon (JJ) Jablonski from West Seneca, NY was determined not to let it end that way. And that's exactly what he did by winning Sunday's race and taking a commanding lead in the points chase.

JJ started off by taking out Saturday's winner, Ted Barnes, in round one with a near perfect .001 light and a 10.924 to Ted's losing 10.906. Round two had him up against Al Hodgson. Very close on the tree (JJ .008 to Al's .018), they both went too fast with JJ taking the double-breakout win.

Then Steve McCarrick put up a good fight with almost identical reaction times but JJ took the win by a mere .002 seconds at the stripe. In the semi’s, Kevin Orr tree'd JJ with an .013 to an .019 but JJ was able to come around him running closer to the index at 10.937 to Kevin's losing 10.955.

In the final, JJ faced Marc Vezina of Straffordville, Ontario who was driving a borrowed car for the weekend. The race was over when the tree came down as Marc went red, handing JJ his fourth win in TNTSS regular competition.

"I want to thank my wife Nicole, my mom, Denny O'Brien, Mark Vitez for help maintaining the car, Joe from Joe's Transmission, Kasey from Bieda's and Ted for giving us these races," said JJ in the winner's circle.

Labour Day weekend has special meaning for JJ. "Nine years ago my dad and I partied it up at Jason Vitez's stag. The following Monday he was taken to the hospital for what was a brain aneurysm. Monday afternoon was the last time we actually made real contact, so anytime I'm lucky enough to win on a Labour Day weekend, it's special," he added.

JJ is a former IHRA Super Rod Division Champion who has supported the TNTSS since inception. "Jon helped to make the first few TNT Super Series races a reality, leading to the series we have today," said Ted Barnes, TNTSS Director. "I owe him a lot."

Specialty Awards - Sept 2
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Andrew Stirk (Brampton, Ontario) with a 10.903
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦George Mayer (Niagara Falls, Ontario) with a 10.905

Race of Champions
The specialty race of the weekend was Saturday night’s Performance Improvements TNTSS Race of Champions. With 16 drivers entered into this no entry fee, no qualifying, once a year event… the competition was intense. Every one of these drivers have won at least one regular TNTSS event since the series began.

After a two year absence, Jamie Stoneman of Clarence, NY returned in the familiar S10 pickup and took home the highly sought after title of TNTSS Race of Champions winner.

In round one, he took out Chris VanBaalen by pushing him under the index. He tree'd Harry Phelps in round two and then benefited from Paul Young’s red light in the semi-finals.

In the final round, Jamie faced Tom Coonly, also from western New York. Jamie was set on kill cutting an .009 light and running a 10.887. Turned out he didn't need to be as Tom went red by a mere .001, handing the victory to Jamie.

"I have to thank my dad, Jim. He is by far the biggest supporter of this racing operation," said Jamie. "Thanks to Mike and Joe Janis for the new 565, Wayne Sipos for the transmission, he and his wife Pat are always there to lend a hand. Also Mo and Joe Passero and Jason Vitez for a reliable piece."

Sponsors on the S10 include Rosehill Auction House, Jays-Son Construction, J Muro Plumbing, JRO Design and Phil's Quality Auto Service. "Thanks to Tom Coonly who is a huge help and my fiancée Heather for her support. Big thanks to Joe Boniferro and Ted Barnes. Without them and the people at Performance Improvements, none of this would be possible."

The next stop in the 2012 Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series is the final weekend for the season where the 2012 Series Champion will be crowned. It’s a western New York double header - Dunn Tire Raceway Park on Friday September 7 and Empire Dragway on Saturday September 8. Visit www.tntsuperseries.com for all the details!

2012 Joe's Transmission TNTSS Points Standings (TOP 10) - After 11 of 13 - Adjusted for waivers
1 Jon Jablonski 670
2 Harry Phelps 613
3 Tom Coonly 602
4 Peter
Chris VanBaalen
VanBaalen 602
5 Roy Lister 557
6 Ted Barnes 551
7 Kirk Parry 549
8 Jim
Ryan Thomson
Boniferro 547