HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: Ford EEC IV computer

Guys I really appreciate the responses, I have helped my brother with his IHRA Super stocker with a Holley 650cfm 2bbl since the 1980's. and his NHRA GT SS with a Q-jet but when he went to EFI (Thank God the engine builder programs the car) I am only good for fuel or a converter or transmission swap lol. Due to Christmas, family time, and my profession as a paramedic (we don't get holidays) I have not had the hood up on the ranger to check vacuum, fuel pressure, block off the EGR, or give Kirk a call. While at work I did look at the ECM and it has a catch code of MOM2. When I googled this I got a hit on a ranger with a 3.0?? Maybe bad info or maybe mine had been reflashed and replaced. After Ed's comment on timing in courious about a Auto ECM. I think the 1991 ranger still used the A4LD automatic and I know it has a lockup clutch, other than that I think it is a "dumb" transmission don't rely on the computer to function, it may work with the c-4 transmission. I have done some research on the Quarter Horse chip and for my application it appeared it may be the best bang for the buck as I am looking drivability, fuel economy and performance vs max H.P. and E.T. Heck if the Automatic 2.3 ECM works and get some fuel mileage I'd be happy. If the current 15 mpg is all I can get with the 2.3 with a cam upgrade I might as well look for a 260, 289 or 302 with a distributor and a carb and stuff it in lol. Thanks again for the replys and happy new year. Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
kdanner

Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Racer View Post
While at work I did look at the ECM and it has a catch code of MOM2. When I googled this I got a hit on a ranger with a 3.0??
Hi Don. Correct, MOM2 is a California calibration for a 1996 Ranger 3.0 with a 4R44E trans. Hardware type will also be on the PCM decal, which is ML2-111. Same hardware also used in 96 for 4.0 Rangers with 4R55E trans, with a different calibration of course.

EDIT: Was really pondering how it could even run at all and why someone would have rewired the truck for that EEC-V module anyway. Now I see what it is, it's M0M2 rather than MOM2. That one is EEC-IV, for a Ranger 2.3, manual trans. So it's not flashable, no EEC-IV is, the only things you can use are those that connect to the service port on that PCM like plug in chips or there have been a couple of user editable devices that plug into that port also.

Going back and looking at your original post, a mechanical fuel pressure regulator with manifold reference like that doesn't do anything other than maintain the pressure delta between the rail and manifold, so no concerns there with a camshaft change. Really need some datalogs, but I don't know if any of the aftermarket software even has anything defined for that old and obscure application. Can maybe get some basic readings with some of the generic stuff out there, might show MAF, fuel trim, and what the oxygen sensor is doing at cruise/idle anyway. I would expect problems like dying when dropping it into gear or coming back to idle after a significant enough cam change, but you're right, you didn't change it much. Have you cleaned the MAF? Ford PCMs very rarely go bad.

Last edited by kdanner; 12-27-2018 at 03:22 PM.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
lo23m8b

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi. I have a number of brand new computers for rangers and bronco II's of this era. If you can come up with a number you need I can check my stock (I probably have one). I have late 80's and early 90's stuff). My e-mail is lo23m8a@aol.com. I can also help with eecIV issues but it's been a long time.
lo23m8b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

Just a little update for those that responded or might be intrested,,, I have had time to do a little more with the project. I picked up a computer from the local pick a part from a 2.3 5 speed. I was wanting to get one from an automatic 2.3 due to Ed mentioning the OEM auto might have a better timing curve to work with my C-4 but went with what I could get my hands on. The ECM swap showed no change, the truck still had periods of stumbling and struggling. A day or so later I robbed a set of injectors from an old 3.0 engine to replace the "rebuilt" injectors I got from E-Bay. With the used injectors the engine sounded smoother at start up, but I had simular issues with the first test drive. after a day or so either the "new" ECM has learned the "new" old used replacement injectors or the fuel pressure issue that I never got to monitor had fixed it's self. I have enough confidence in the truck now to drive it 15 miles from my brothers towing service lol. Due to my ignorance with EFI I was not sure what might have been hapening. Was the likely scenerio an injector sticking open or not opening at all? I assume on a 4 banger flooding or dudding is 25% of the engine and it it pretty well dead either way. After many talks to a mechanic friend of mine about my issues with the truck it became apparent that due to my ignorance I blocked off the heat pipe that came from the heater hose to the intake. I guess I was thinking carburetor. Guess that is why the 2.3 is only getting 13 or so mpg since it got cold. During the summer I guess the heat under the hood kept the manifold and the sensor hot. Getting the manifold heated with coolant is the next project. Hopefully the fuel mileage will get to where it needs to be. If I can get that acomplished maybe tuning will be in the future. I appreciate the your help.
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #15
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

A lot of tuning changes are needed to make one drive well in the pits, & on the return road when a cam as used in a Stocker is used. Changes also needed to keep the spark plugs clean under those conditions. Even more so with a SS cam which normally has even lower vacuum. Naturally, Wide Open Throttle tuning is different from factory tuning as well.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #16
black88coupe

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
A lot of tuning changes are needed to make one drive well in the pits, & on the return road when a cam as used in a Stocker is used. Changes also needed to keep the spark plugs clean under those conditions. Even more so with a SS cam which normally has even lower vacuum. Naturally, Wide Open Throttle tuning is different from factory tuning as well.
The hot setup back in the day was a custom chip from a company like AutoLogic. Ed Hohenburgh used one in his black notch which used FOMOCO speed density.
black88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote