HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 07-10-2016, 12:09 AM   #1
Racer9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New at this, looking for info and advice.

Not sure if this is the right place, forgive me, bear with me, and move it if needed.
I grew up around oval tracks, I had a NASCAR license and raced in the Saturday night, pro-truck division at Lake Erie PA Speedway. But this drag stuff is a bit different for me.
I'm a bit older (58) but still have that competitive fire, and I'm considering getting into dragging.
I want to be a bit different, so my plan is to use a Ford V-6 SHO, in something light, like a Ranger, (I'm a truck guy). I want to start out mostly stock, and build up over time.
My questions to start with are;
How much stuff can I remove to lighten the truck?
How do I know which class I'm actually in, or doesn't it matter? Is it strictly by time, or are there rules? I can't find a rule book.
Thompson OH Raceway park will probably be my main track.
I have found draggers to be very friendly, and the people on this site seem to be too. That's a big difference from ovals.
Racer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
Racer9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: New at this, looking for info and advice.

Maybe I was a bit too vague.
Assuming it's a race only vehicle, trailered to the track, can I remove the inner fenders, entire interior (carpet, trim, dash, etc), things like window mechanism, hood hinges, oem glass and replace with lexan, can I move the seat rearwards? Or does it need to be state inspected?
Again, I'm not sure what class this all would put me in, or does it all just go by time? Pretty sure I'll be under 10.......................................minutes!: D
Old 07-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
Eman

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

You're looking at bracket or index racing from what I assume. If so the only rules that apply are safety rules. Generally the only racing tracks do on a weekly basis is ET bracket racing with possibly some index racing, no actual class racing like the old days. Then you can choose whether you want to run a footbrake class, a no box class or a box class. All of which have to do with how you launch the car more than anything.
I don't know what track you're referring to. look to see if they are a sanctioned track, either IHRA or NHRA and then look at their web sites for rules concerning et classes.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Racer9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the response.
This is the track http://thompsonracewaypark.com/ apparently IHRA.
I did find some general info on a search yesterday, but now at least I can be certain to get good info for that track, and I will check a couple other tracks in my area to see if the car/truck would also be good for there.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Eman

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

Looks like that track is 1/4mi. Be sure to build accordingly especially if others in the area are 1/8th. If you look at that track's site click on the SSS link, it will take you to the IHRA site and the Summit Super Series. Within that site you should be able to find the online rule book.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
GTOMayhem

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

I would head out to the next points race at your local track. Then find one or two cars/trucks in each of the classes being raced. Say 'Hi' and ask people about their cars, look around and chat. You will find where you and your truck would fit in to the crowd. Looking at their site they run a 'Trophy' class, for street cars. A 'Mod' class for bracket cars/trucks with no boxes (0-14.99). And a 'Top' class for 11.99 and faster cars/trucks and dragsters with boxes.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem
GTOMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Racer9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you both for the very good advice. I did look at the rulebook, and found the answers I was looking for.

I also did some serious soul searching, and decided that with the distance from that or any 1/4 mile track, the investment (both time and money), my age, and the other activities I am involved with, I think I'm just going to hold off. If I was 10 years younger I would likely do it, but being 60 in 2 years, and probably that long to just get a decent car together, I think I'll have more fun with my '81 Dodge D150 that I put a Cummins 4bt into, and am just finishing up. I may run that a few times, just for kicks.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
chasracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Probably a smart choice. Building one of these deals is one thing, racing it and being good at it is another. Your age doesn't matter but you already defeated yourself by using it as a reason. I am closing in on 63 and love every damned minute of this mess - good and bad.
chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #9
typhoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the posting, you have inspired me! 58 years young ,I'm 58 ,never to old to start. I've been watching and attending drags for 42 years! Started at 16 as soon as i could drive on the road. Have admired and respected ,all of you that participate in whatever car you have. This is from the the Pro's to us so called ordinary folk. Age is not a barrier with this pastime. I meet people in their 70's doing this. Oldest so far was a guy from ontario .he was 82!.if you want to do it even just once then do it. You only get 1 shot at this life! I've always wanted to participate rather than watch, Now I've got to go and do this! Thanks, l'll pass the soap box along now.
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:17 AM   #10
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 749 Times in 361 Posts

Hey, if any of you guys need a decent beginners footbrake car, I've got one for sale. I got it built, but haven't had the $$ to race it, and don't look like my local track is gonna open this year. They would normally already be running.

The car is a '68 Firebird, with a glass hood, 6-point roll bars, 12-bolt rear, good 10.8" Phoenix slicks, frame connectors, new fuel cell, 2 fresh 800cca batts, alum rad, 455 Pontiac engine, TH400 trans, 10" converter, B&M Pro Rachet shifter, new PST shaft, drag seat & belts, & shift light tach.

The engine will run on 93 octane pump gas, but it wouldn't hurt to add a little Torco Accelerator octane booster. It has probably just over 400hp & about 500ft lbs of torque. Should run mid to low 7's on our local 1/8 mile track. Engine has not made a pass--only a couple of short blasts on a local country road.

Price is $7000 complete. or, less engine/trans/shifter for $3500, and, I'll also keep the racing tires & wheels & take $3000 for what's left.

So, if somebody don't want to run a Pontiac engine, he can put a Chevy, Olds, or Buick in it. If I was just startin out in bracket racing, I'd want a 2-speed trans, like a Powerglide. You only have 1 shift to worry about.

Anyhow, I live in North central Louisiana, & will be glad to help load the car onto the hauler for shipping. So, if anybody is interested, I can send more info. ba455@outlook.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LF.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	38654  

Last edited by oldskool; 03-19-2017 at 01:22 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote