HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Pro Stock

The coverage that the sportsman racer receives on TV is a joke. Again today if I was not aware that there were other classes in sportsman racing, one would think that the Lucas series only has the dragsters and funny cars, no mention of the lower classes what so ever.
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Mark Madison

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

The minute NHRA figures out how to run nothing but Pro Mod, Alcohol Pro stock and Fuel where done at National events. If they could they would right now, but they need us as track prep and filler between rounds of the John Force show. Why drag the track when all they need to do is call Stockers to the lanes.

Mark Madison
Mark Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Madison View Post
The minute NHRA figures out how to run nothing but Pro Mod, Alcohol Pro stock and Fuel where done at National events. If they could they would right now, but they need us as track prep and filler between rounds of the John Force show. Why drag the track when all they need to do is call Stockers to the lanes.

Mark Madison
They need a cash cow.Sportsman racers fit the bill,for now.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs down Re: Pro Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Madison View Post

Mark Madison
They also need our entry fees! Pros don't pay anything to get in. Paid spectators are at an all time low. No, they must have our money! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
Mark Madison

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
They also need our entry fees! Pros don't pay anything to get in. Paid spectators are at an all time low. No, they must have our money! Jim

My local Congressman keeps telling me how much he needs my support also. So far that's another one way street.

Mark Madison
Mark Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

The great and all seeing Ed Fernandez told us many moons ago that we were the last generation to care about the automobile and I've come to the conclusion that he was right.lol I really was hoping that pro stock would survive this down turn in the economy but unfortunately the other pigs at the table didn't leave any meat to fight over. This year at the U.S Nationals most of the ads were Nitro! Nitro! Pro Mod! -----------------------and pro stock? Maybe... I say remove your wheelie bars and let them hang boys and gal!
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Wink Re: Pro Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
The great and all seeing Ed Fernandez told us many moons ago that we were the last generation to care about the automobile and I've come to the conclusion that he was right.lol I really was hoping that pro stock would survive this down turn in the economy but unfortunately the other pigs at the table didn't leave any meat to fight over. This year at the U.S Nationals most of the ads were Nitro! Nitro! Pro Mod! -----------------------and pro stock? Maybe... I say remove your wheelie bars and let them hang boys and gal!
Ed is right! Ed is always right! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

Last year, I tried to relocate to the Ozarks of Missouri. Lots of 1/8 mile "outlaw" tracks around there. We didn't run the SS car, but ran the stocker in events that paid more than winning a division race. But, my point is, they ran 10.5 cars and street radial cars.....these guys are crazy......they brought the crowds in to watch them crash.....and they did... Apparently, the folks want to see that. If you haven't seen a 10.5 race....you need to. They are a riot.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #19
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

How about this as a solution to the sportsman(and now pro stock) dilemma. The Jegs Sportsman Nationals and the Summit Racing Series can replace NHRA as the only sportsman act in town. Sportsman racers buy more from Summit and Jegs than the Pros. Your average hot rodder relates more to the sportsman ranks than T/F or F/C. It has gotta cost Summit and Jegs many $ 's the promote NHRA. If they spent those $'s on their own formats, with maybe a final of J vs S, you could see how they can fuel customer loyalty and increased spening on their cars. The Speed Channel would pick up this series without over runs of the WBA, sports gab, etc. as per ESPN. It is also a shame that the sportsman racers don't support the different S S/S, SS/T S/G regional clubs that have better payouts than N or IHRA.
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
doolie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In many parts of the country, NHRA needs a fast, heads up door car class. Pro Stock has evolved into a disgrace. They could run some kind of Pro Mod-10.5 sort of car with far better results.
The IHRA has found their deal works with a low key sportsman segment and a few big sportsman stand alone races. I do believe their sportsman car count at the bigger races has improved a bit.
Yes, independent racing for sportsmen is the only viable future. The Stock Super Stock association that Dave Ley runs is one good deal, one that I am familiar with. I am sure there are other groups. The NHRA is dying, drag racing will live on. Fernandez is right, the next generation could care less about NHRA style sportsman racing. Long term survival will require new adventures.
doolie is offline   Reply With Quote