Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Default Goodbye Tyson Foods!

Goodbye Tyson Foods!

American company eliminates Labor Day!

Tyson Foods eliminates Labor Day in favor of Muslim Holiday! I think that you will find this very Interesting.
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. How do you take over America ? One American at a time.
Tyson chicken anyone?? None for me, thanks! We all need to heed this message!

TYSON FOODS ELIMINATES LABOR DAY IN FAVOR OF MUSLIM HOLIDAY

Tyson Food in Shelbyville , Tennessee has eliminated Labor Day as a paid holiday in favor of the last day of Ramadan because they have 700 Muslim employees.
The fact that they have almost that many non-Muslim employees is beside the point apparently!

I will no longer purchase any Tyson products. It's just one more little chunk of America that's been bitten off.
If you wish to join me, then let your e-mail friends know this.
If we don't stand up for something we will fall for anything. All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

This was verified:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/outrage.asp

I did not believe even Snopes, so I checked it out myself: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0%2c293...7645%2c00.html
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Goodbye Tyson Foods!

This is a slap in the face to all American workers .

Labor Day was instituted as a federal holiay in 1894 , officially to commemorate the economic and social contributions of workers to the growth and prosperty of these United States . Unofficially I was taught it was also to recognize the sacrifices in blood and lives of American workers both on the job , and in the struggle or what we take for granted today : the 40 hour work week , worker safety , a minimum wage , prohibition of child labor , right to organize , and etc .

I see this as a shot across the bows directed at hourly workers by Tyson Foods, WalMart , and other corporate giants , who would like nothing better than a return to those benighted days when a time card was a symbol of serfdom .

Richard C. Schmidt
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Umm....not so fast. From Tyson's website.

http://www.tysonfoods.com/Media-Room...son-Foods.aspx

Labor Day at Tyson Foods

Outdated, misleading information about Tyson employee holidays has surfaced on the Internet. Contrary to recently circulated reports, Tyson does NOT offer its workers a paid Muslim holiday at any location.

A labor union vote briefly changed the Labor Day holiday at the company’s Shelbyville, Tennessee, poultry plant in 2008. Tyson Foods did not initiate the change and immediately negotiated with the union to reinstate Labor Day as a paid holiday, resolving the matter more than three years ago.

Labor Day continues to be one of the paid holidays for Team Members at all of the company’s U.S. plants.

At Tyson, we take pride in supporting our country and efforts to protect our way of life. Here are a few of the things the company and its Team Members do in support of our military:
  • Tyson provides differential pay for all its Team Members called to active military duty, making up the difference between military compensation and pay they normally receive from Tyson. Since September 11, 2001, Tyson has provided $2 million in differential pay to almost 400 employees.
  • Tyson Foods is a supporter of Northwest Arkansas “Honor Flight,” a program that transports military veterans free of charge to Washington, D.C., to visit the World War II memorial and other military memorials. Since 2009 the company has helped coordinate and finance three of these flights for more than 270 World War II veterans.
  • Tyson Foods has a Veterans Business Resource Group for military veterans employed at the company’s corporate headquarters. This group, like the company’s other Business Resource Groups, provides an avenue for our Team Members to network and develop their professional knowledge and skills.
  • The people of Tyson Foods have sent holiday care packages to fellow Team Members, family members and friends serving the U.S. military in the Middle East since 2004. In 2009, the company and its employees also provided financial support to a program designed to help wounded soldiers who have served there.
  • In 2010, Tyson awarded a $75,000 “challenge” grant to an organization seeking to provide more burial space for military veterans at the National Cemetery in Fayetteville, Ark. The Regional National Cemetery Improvement Corp. is using the money to support the group’s mission of securing nearby land.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

I keep saying that the Members are the ones that vote to do stupid things .Not the International Unions. The people vote, not the organization. I guess the Muslim membership wanted their own Holiday. You know what they always say,..... watch what you wish for....you might just get it.

Tyson Foods, Inc. did, in fact, agree to a contract with the Retail, Wholesale and Department Stores Union in mid-2008 providing workers in the company's Shelbyville, Tennessee poultry processing plant a paid day off on the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr instead of Labor Day. However, the contract was revised to reinstate Labor Day after a public outcry ensued.

Eid al-Fitr is the "festival of fast-breaking" which occurs every autumn after the month-long fast known in Islam as Ramadan. RWDSU negotiators had asked for the Muslim holiday on behalf of the approximately 250 Somali refugees who work at the plant, which employs a total of about 1,200 people.

Per the revised agreement, both Labor Day and Eid al-fitr (or an extra personal day for non-Muslims) will be among the eight paid holidays enjoyed by Tyson's Shelbyville employees going forward.

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 10-03-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

I wonder if the union checks them for green cards?Wadda ya think Jeff?
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
I wonder if the union checks them for green cards?Wadda ya think Jeff?
I don't know (THEY SHOULD!) But if their that Stupid they probably shouldn't have a green card... WHAT were they thinking?