HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts
Default Military Exchanges

Starting next Veteran Day 2017, all vets not just active and retirees can shop at the exchange (online). This is a vast savings for shopping at a discount department store.

https://www.aafes.com/exchange-stores/
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: Military Exchanges

By all vets do vets with a disability (30%) qualify and and this is ONLINE ONLY correct? Plus it starts 11/11/17 correct? Fed 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Just pulled up Military.com 8/16/17 says Pentagon has not given final approval at this point but it would maybe go into effect in 2017- still working out some of the details --regardless it looks like another great opportunity to save money if Vets are allowed to participate--FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
By all vets do vets with a disability (30%) qualify and and this is ONLINE ONLY correct? Plus it starts 11/11/17 correct? Fed 387
All Vets that are honorably discharge, I am sure some vetting will be required i.e. DD214
Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
Just pulled up Military.com 8/16/17 says Pentagon has not given final approval at this point but it would maybe go into effect in 2017- still working out some of the details --regardless it looks like another great opportunity to save money if Vets are allowed to participate--FED 387

MOAA participated in the semi-annual meeting of the Exchange Retiree Advisory Council (ERAC) at AAFES Corporate Headquarters in Dallas, TX on June 24th. The Council was updated on a formal proposal sent to the Department of Defense (DoD) requesting a change in policy to extend online shopping privileges to all honorably discharged veterans. Because the benefit would be limited to online only, current beneficiaries would not be impacted. Presently, honorably discharged veterans are afforded full exchange benefits provided they are 100% disabled, or hospitalized where exchange facilities are available. As a result, approximately 90% of veterans are excluded from Exchange shopping privileges. The proposed policy change would provide a tangible, albeit modest, sign of our country’s appreciation for all veterans who have served honorably. As a non-appropriated entity, the Exchange annually generates hundreds of millions of dollars in earnings to support morale, welfare and recreation (MWR) efforts such as child development centers, youth services, pools, bowling facilities, golf courses, and much more. In 2013, the dividend payment to MWR was $208 million dollars. If the Department of Defense changes its policies to allow all honorably discharged veterans’ access to the online exchange, dividends earned through increased patronage would be returned to MWR to support on-installation quality of life programs and improve physical retail operations. Extending online only shopping privileges to all honorably discharged veterans honors their service in a small, tangible way. And, in today’s fiscally constrained environment, it preserves the benefit for all who have served and protects the dividend that provides the necessary dollars to maintain valuable MWR programs.

It is going to happen. More to follow!!!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

I have been a proponent of allowing any honorably discharged veteran with a compensated disability, to use the commissary and exchange service.

Most recently HR 1292, and similar bills in the past, have been introduced. The bills continue to get sent to sub-committees and get burried.

Online shopping at the Exchange will not be a "money saver" for veterans. You do not have to pay sales tax, however. Shopping at a Commissary would save veterans money. Commisaries work on a 5% gross profit margin and suppliers are required to sell to the commisaries at a price that is equal to the lowest price in the market.

Last edited by SStockDart; 08-17-2016 at 09:18 PM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
I have been a proponent of allowing any honorably discharged veteran with a compensated disability, to use the commissary and exchange service.

Most recently HR 1292, and similar bills in the past, have been introduced. The bills continue to get sent to sub-committees and get burried.

Online shopping at the Exchange will not be a "money saver" for veterans. You do not have to pay sales tax, however. Shopping at a Commissary would save veterans money. Commisaries work on a 5% gross profit margin and suppliers are required to sell to the commisaries at a price that is equal to the lowest price in the market.
I can only speak from experience since 1972, I have always got bargain prices at the exchange for quality items, not Walmart crap. The price matching has been in place for years and no tax. Active duty, Guard and Reserve members, military retirees, Medal of Honor recipients, 100 percent disabled veterans, and their authorized family members can shop in the Commissary and Exchange. Gary keep in mind that we are talking two difference components here: one is appropriated funds the other is non-appropriated funds. Appropriated funds are part of the budget that Congress controls. Non-appropriated is not and is approves by the Pentagon. The Commissary is an appropriated fund organization know as DECA. Where the exchange falls under Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR)

Last edited by Eddies66; 08-18-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
Eddies66
VIP Member

A Defense Department retail board has given the green light to a plan to open online exchange shopping to all honorably discharged veterans, with hopes of starting the program on Veterans Day in 2017.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

That's a great benefit that not only helps the Veteran but, as has been mentioned, helps the Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) Funds on military installations worldwide, both on-shore and afloat, that support Service Members and their Families.

This new program also allows Veterans to shop on-line at any of the 4 Service Exchanges (Army/Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard), so there will be a greater product availability.

Thank you for your Service!
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA

Last edited by Lew Silverman; 01-13-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added more information!
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:37 AM   #10
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

I saw that. It is a step in the right direction. If it helps any veteran, I am all for it. I know that it will next fall before implementation. I also compared some current prices on AAFES items and they seem to be a little higher. The savings could come in no sales tax.

In my case, that doesn't make much difference because I live in Maricopa County and do not get hit with city tax when ordering on Amazon.

The big deal for me will be commissary benefits. Not in the works yet for disabled vets unless 100%, active duty, medal of honor or retired. I'm 90%.

Last edited by SStockDart; 01-14-2017 at 01:48 AM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote