HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Car Hauler

Thinking about going this route to haul our Stocker around. Currently using a smallish 2004 1500 Silverado and a 16' steel open trailer with does a fair job of it, but is a little strained. Anyone have experience with a hauler of this type? http://www.cars-on-line.com/50595.html

Does not have to be a new truck...looking at a nice '78 model Chevrolet atm.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 390 Times in 84 Posts
Default Re: Car Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Thinking about going this route to haul our Stocker around. Currently using a smallish 2004 1500 Silverado and a 16' steel open trailer with does a fair job of it, but is a little strained. Anyone have experience with a hauler of this type? http://www.cars-on-line.com/50595.html

Does not have to be a new truck...looking at a nice '78 model Chevrolet atm.
Used to tow with a crew cab hauler, They look Way-kool and serves it's purpose, however to invest that kind of $$$$ in a truck that only will see use for weekend race-car transport IMHO doesn't make much sense?

A newer pick-up, enclosed trailer or a better built Aluminum open trailer is probably a better investment, and still be able to use the P/U during the week when not towing.

Here in New England those older 1-ton car haulers are somewhat a target for State, local & DMV police. Once a car is loaded on the bed, it's technically overweight.

Those "Hodges Haulers" are the "Cadillac" of haulers!
IMO they still look KOOL!
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Greg is spot on...I too love the look of what Hodges in Kentucky did to these chassis trucks. Still used by some of the folks picking up cars at auctions and such because they can tow a second car behind. Actually a cheap way to get 2 race cars to the track....course nowadays stackers are the preferred way to go. Nothing wrong with a open alum trailer behind a 1500, enclosed trailers pretty much necessitate at least a 2500.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
HandOverFist
VIP Member

It actually kind of does make sense for us. A new truck @ $40K and/or an aluminum trailer @ $5K kind of stings. I'm looking at a couple of used rigs that have been cared for and would initially cost less than the price of a trailer. If taken care of I'm betting I could recoup my investment in the truck years down the road...try that with a "new" $40K truck lol. A hauler would address my safety concerns as well as being a compact transport package. I would likely sell my current truck and opt for an economical car as I really have little need for a pickup these days other than pulling a trailer.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
stage1scott

Liked 95 Times in 42 Posts

I love these and the old enclosed Olyenik haulesr-but-you need to check a few things before you buy. Check the gvw sticker on the door-som e people have done this conversion with a 3/4 ton 8600 and added a dually axle. also, there was a (GM) cab & chassis that always should have been used with a GVW of 10,800 or 11000 lbs on that sticker. What was noted above is true-you are going to be technically overweight in a lot of places. Some states will allow an upgrade to the titles advertised gvw if you provide proof of upgraded suyspension and brakes. and speaking of brakes-these trucks are pretty short on them unless they have been updated as well.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Thanks for the input guys - I'm looking at one right now which has been owned by the same fellow for 21 years...the previous owner had it for 12 years. Truck has been to Gainsville, Indy, Englishtown, ect. so I would expect all is good with it. I'll have some more info about it later this evening.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
Danny Ashley

Liked 91 Times in 23 Posts

Rich:
There is 1990 crew cab hauler here in Marion,In. Go to woodardautosales.com. Those things are waaaaaaaaay cool!
Danny Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

watch out if its an automatic trans--- better have a 454 too-- eats lotsa gas and trans is good for about 50000 miles then ya better pull it and at least look at it if not rebuild it--Check the rear gear too nothing over a 373 if its a 4 speed !!! We bought a new Oleynik in 1973 4 speed 454 chevy C30 26 foot box got about 10 on a real good day no wind going downhill keep it under 65 MPH--- it is about as aerodynamic as a ducks *** into the wind!!!! hauled a 67 Camaro Modified production we went all over with it Cali/Montreal, Florida Baton Rouge Texas you name it we were there
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Ashley View Post
Rich:
There is 1990 crew cab hauler here in Marion,In. Go to woodardautosales.com. Those things are waaaaaaaaay cool!
Thanks Danny - Emailed them for a price...that is a pretty sharp truck.

The '76 Chevy I was looking at proved to be just a little too rough for consideration. Just ran across a 1986 Ford F350 with a 6.9 International diesel...any thoughts on something like that?

Last edited by HandOverFist; 03-16-2014 at 12:34 AM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:18 AM   #10
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

I`ve been hauling my cars around on a 1974 Ford F350 ramp truck/car hauler since 1988, and its been a reliable and economical way to to get to the races. My truck has a gas 390 FE, with a NP435 "granny low" truck 4 speed and a Dana 70 with 4.10s. With tall 7.50R16 Michelins, it tachs 2600 RPM at 60 MPH, and on my 2200 mile round trip to California a few years ago, averaged 10.2 MPG, which included some pretty big hills in the Southern Oregon/Northern California Siskiyou mountains. My truck retains its factory 161" wheelbase, with a 16 foot deck, and and the factory GVW is 10,000 lbs, but depending how much crap I bring along, its usually between 10,500 & 11,000 lbs loaded. Suspension wise, the truck doesn`t seem to mind, although as mentioned, braking isn`t great, with all that weight on just 2 axles.Like anything, there are pros and cons.
On the Pro side:
Easy to drive.park, and back up. No trailer sway, overall length of 26 feet, albeit a fair bit of rear overhang.
At 26 feet, it is almost 1/2 as long as a typical 1 ton PU and 24' trailer. Leaves room in the driveway for other vehicles.
Decent amount of storage space. At least with mine. I have 2 4 foot long, 28" tall, 20" deep side boxes, plus a large 6 foot long, 24" wide, 2 foot deep (at the front)"cubby hole" in the deck, under the car.
Biggest Pro is COST! I doubt that I have spent over $10,000 over the past 25 years on this truck, including the truck chassis and deck, and every repair that I have done. I have put 60,000 miles on the truck in that time, only for race travelling,
There are a few Cons:
Obviously, your car is exposed to the weather and peoples eyes. The car gets wet and dusty, but to date, no bad guys have touched anything.
With quite a bit of storage, you need to dig for stuff, so the trucks deck tends to wind up with stuff spread out over it at the track.
As mentioned before, with all the weight on 2 axles, braking is weak compared to a truck and trailer, with brakes on 4 (or 5) axles. So you need to pay attention to traffic and following distances.
But it is a viable option if you are looking at costs, and don`t worry about "keeping up with the Jones."